Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know how I can change my last name???

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
DH & I have been married for almost 2yrs now. I've always wanted to become a citizen and then change my last name (I've had my residency since I was about 9 or 10yrs old). Last year I had paid for my application online and filled it up then went down to the USCIS office to put in my application. When I got there they told me that they had ripped me off (the online application). They told me that they would have given it to me for free if I would've gone there in the beginning. Okay, well then they told me that I had to mail it to them but as they were looking at my application they told me that I couldn't become a citizen because my residency was about to expire :'( I had paid about $2,000 (something other than this had happened but it's a long story) at this point and none of it could be refunded back. Now I'm about to renew again and my question is do any of you guys know how I can go about renewing my residency and being able to change my last name at the same time since I'm married now? If that makes any sense?

Thanks for reading! I apologize if it's too long or confusing! Have a good day/night :)
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Bump!
acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:29 AM
You should have no problems. You submit a copy of your marriage license along with your other paperwork.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinabee88
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM
I think you change your last name with the county. Good luck on becoming a citizen. It's a long process for some.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Okay, thank you for responding! :)

Quoting acrogodess:

You should have no problems. You submit a copy of your marriage license along with your other paperwork.
acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:32 AM
Did you already change your state ID, passport and social security number? If not, go do that as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:36 AM
I'm sorry I don't understand :( "change your last name with the county" what exactly does that mean? And Thank you so much for your response! :)

Thanks! It's been my dream since I was a little girl :) My mom had my 2 older siblings & my 2 youngest siblings here in the United States but she chased after my "dad" (never met him) in Mexico and I was born there. I was brought here since I was 2ms old so I've been learning everything about the history of the United States ;) from the get go ;) Again, thank you!!!

Quoting Tinabee88:

I think you change your last name with the county. Good luck on becoming a citizen. It's a long process for some.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:39 AM
No, I was about to but I was waiting on becoming a citizen and then doing that :( I always thought you had to wait til you had to change it starting with your permenant resendincy/citizenship first.

Quoting acrogodess:

Did you already change your state ID, passport and social security number? If not, go do that as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting acrogodess:

acrogodess
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:07 AM
Nope. Your marriage license allows you to update all you other paperwork easily. Your permanent residency and citizenship will follow your other papers regarding your last name.

My mom was a permanent resident all throughout her marriage with my dad. All her updated paperwork, ID, Social security card etc was updated and then they updated her residency. By the time mom got her citizenship my dad was already dead and then she requested to change her name back to her maiden name

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I was about to but I was waiting on becoming a citizen and then doing that :( I always thought you had to wait til you had to change it starting with your permenant resendincy/citizenship first.

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LisaSmock
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:09 AM
Go 2 SS office with marriage papers and they will give you a name change and new SS card
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrsrodgers0703
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:10 AM
This.

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)