Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

help! yes, tax refund related!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
When it says I need my refund amount to check the where's my refund thing, do I just add my state and federal or does it mean just federal? If not, where on the paperwork would I find the amount to enter? I must sound stupid but I've never checked before, we were always fine financially so I never actually needed the money, but right now we really do (DF got laid off, I make 300$ a week which all goes to bills) and we really need this money ASAP, or else I'm going to be headed to the food pantry next week. No joke. So please be nice and not bash!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amandae21
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:53 AM

just federal

amandae21
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM

To clarify, the IRS is only responsible for federal taxes and has nothing to do with state taxes.

keisha613
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Yep, just federal. It has to be the exact number, don't round it up or anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I really don't understand how adults do not know this.

Quoting amandae21:

To clarify, the IRS is only responsible for federal taxes and has nothing to do with state taxes.

keisha613
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM
And if you used a tax service that will be taking their fee from your refund, don't subtract that amount.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM
OK now I'm seriously confused. I knew the IRS didn't deal with state, but when I was filling out the where's my refund thing, it said enter refund amour, had a thing to click saying "where is this on my taxes?" So I hit that, it asked for line 43A on my form (1040A) and that is my state and federal combined amount of return. So I entered that and it said no info was available I guess. Idk oh well. I'll just keep checking the bank I guess. Thank you for your advice! :) Have a nice day!

Quoting amandae21:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Where did you file? You can call and ask them how much federal you are getting back.
Fairywings1223
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
You have to enter the amount of your refund.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:19 AM

line 43a is just federal return not federal and state if you added both on that line then u made an error did you file your own? State refund is a whole new form filed to your state department of taxation

Quoting Anonymous:

OK now I'm seriously confused. I knew the IRS didn't deal with state, but when I was filling out the where's my refund thing, it said enter refund amour, had a thing to click saying "where is this on my taxes?" So I hit that, it asked for line 43A on my form (1040A) and that is my state and federal combined amount of return. So I entered that and it said no info was available I guess. Idk oh well. I'll just keep checking the bank I guess. Thank you for your advice! :) Have a nice day!

Quoting amandae21:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Oh ok, I guess we are getting back more than I thought than. No we didn't file our own, we went through H&R block this year. I did Turbo tax last year and had a few issues for we decided to try out H&R block this year.

Quoting Anonymous:

line 43a is just federal return not federal and state if you added both on that line then u made an error did you file your own? State refund is a whole new form filed to your state department of taxation

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting amandae21:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)