Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

mess o' greens

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies
I'm supposed to make a big dinner today. All my inlaws are coming. Dh was bragging about what a good cook I am, but I'm a baker. Cookies, breads, pies and such.

Anyway they're coming over after church, so around 3pm. And I can't figure out how to make the greens. I've been Googling and can't find the recipe. Mil usually puts a pigs foot or ham hawk in. I don't even know what a ham hawk is. And dh said something about shaving the pigs foot. Wth does that mean?

Helllp!
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM
I'd make something I've at least tried making before. Good luck though.
robyann
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:11 AM

A ham hock is just a ham bone. They are usually next to the cottage hams. They just add flavor. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Is it absolutely necessary? Do you know where I can find a recipe?

Quoting robyann:

A ham hock is just a ham bone. They are usually next to the cottage hams. They just add flavor. 

bigmessylife
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I think I'm going to barf. I cook my green with a full head of garlic, pressed, and veggie broth.
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

A ham hock is basically a pig ankle. The ones used in greens are typically smoked and you can find them near the ham in the meat section at the grocery. If you don't feel comfortable using a ham hock then just use bacon. Chop up raw bacon, put it in a high-sided frying pan or a dutch oven (if you have one) and cook it until the fat is rendered out (that's when the bacon pieces are crispy). Take the bacon out but don't drain the pan/pot. De-stem and remove the tough center rib from your greens and then chop it into bite size pieces. Add it to the pot with the bacon fat. Add some sherry/balsamic/apple cider vinager. Not much, just a splash. Add some sugar, again, just a bit to taste. Then cook the greens until they are wilted and soft. Add the bacon bits back in. Mmmmmm, greens!

ETA: You can also use whatever kinds of seasonings you like, like garlic and onions, but put the onions in the fat first to soften, then add the garlic and stir until the garlic browns but doesn't burn. Then add the rest of the ingredients. I also like to put a few drops of hot sauce in to give the greens a little spice!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Ham hock*

You can get it at any grocery store, in the pork section. Just put it in the pot with the greens and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cover, simmer for an hour or more, until the greens are tender. Seasonings include red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce, salt, garlic powder (or garlic in the boiling water), splash of vinegar.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Thanks.

Do you know how to cook pigs feet?

Or better yet, I'll pay you to cook this dinner. Lol

Quoting davnrori:

A ham hock is basically a pig ankle. The ones used in greens are typically smoked and you can find them near the ham in the meat section at the grocery. If you don't feel comfortable using a ham hock then just use bacon. Chop up raw bacon, put it in a high-sided frying pan or a dutch oven (if you have one) and cook it until the fat is rendered out (that's when the bacon pieces are crispy). Take the bacon out but don't drain the pan/pot. De-stem and remove the tough center rib from your greens and then chop it into bite size pieces. Add it to the pot with the bacon fat. Add some sherry/balsamic/apple cider vinager. Not much, just a splash. Add some sugar, again, just a bit to taste. Then cook the greens until they are wilted and soft. Add the bacon bits back in. Mmmmmm, greens!

ETA: You can also use whatever kinds of seasonings you like, like garlic and onions, but put the onions in the fat first to soften, then add the garlic and stir until the garlic browns but doesn't burn. Then add the rest of the ingredients. I also like to put a few drops of hot sauce in to give the greens a little spice!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Thanks. Sounds simple enough. Do you know anything about pigs feet?

Quoting Anonymous:

Ham hock*

You can get it at any grocery store, in the pork section. Just put it in the pot with the greens and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cover, simmer for an hour or more, until the greens are tender. Seasonings include red pepper flakes and/or hot sauce, salt, garlic powder (or garlic in the boiling water), splash of vinegar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)