Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Irresponsible brother in law getting house foreclosed on...

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 16 Replies

Just a vent. My dh has a brother who is 50 years old. Not married no kids works full time though. His house is being foreclosed on due to not paying the taxes. The parents died years ago and left him the house free and clear. He refuses to do any maintenance on it and it looks like he is a person on Hoarders. His whole paycheck goes to eating out with his girlfriend a new car and gas for it. It is a big car so it takes alot of gas.He expects to move in with us rent free and I could not handle it! I already have 4 kids 2 with special needs and we have no room. Vent over.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Buy the house for the back taxes and kick him out...hire some one to come in and clean it up then rent it out or sell it.

TAG_ur_it
1 mom liked this

tell him hell no. period.  he screwed up, he can fix it.  could you take over the house and pay the taxes?  if it were me, i'd buy it out from under him and rent it out.  there's no excuse for being forclosed on if you make plenty of money and own it free and clear. 

cjsix

Do not under any circumstances let him move in with you.

KairisMama
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Oh hell no. He'd not be setting one foot in my home.

flowerfunleah
by Leah on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM

I hope you told him a big fat NO.

autiemama516
by autismmommy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

tell him hell no. period.  he screwed up, he can fix it.  could you take over the house and pay the taxes?  if it were me, i'd buy it out from under him and rent it out.  there's no excuse for being forclosed on if you make plenty of money and own it free and clear. 

Unfortunately no. The roof is 40 years old and leaks all over he uses buckets to catch the leaks. There is no hot water heater,it broke and he refused to pay to fix it. He has cats and they have defacated all over the carpet. The sink doesn't work . The list goes on and on. The most I could see anyone pay for it is 10000 and that is being kind. Good suggestion though and thanks!

CrazyLife1996
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell him no period.

I am going through through this with my sister right now. As much as it kills me to let her fall it is for her own good. She should be more responsible because she does have a child. She's not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM

What did you DH say?

TAG_ur_it
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

ok, that's goddamn disgusting.  in that case, just refuse to let him live with you and be done.  maybe it will teach him to be more responsible.  doubtful though since he's in his 50's.  

Quoting autiemama516:

Quoting TAG_ur_it:

Unfortunately no. The roof is 40 years old and leaks all over he uses buckets to catch the leaks. There is no hot water heater,it broke and he refused to pay to fix it. He has cats and they have defacated all over the carpet. The sink doesn't work . The list goes on and on. The most I could see anyone pay for it is 10000 and that is being kind. Good suggestion though and thanks!

rockgal81
by Steph on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Even though he is family, I wouldn't let him move in. If he has let his parents home fall in to such disrepair, how do you think he'd treat your house? It sounds like he's only concerned with himself and I think he would cause so many problems in your household. What does your dh say??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)