Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Using a fly swatter to discipline a child in public?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

Sorry the picture is bad. One morning while having breakfast we sat next to a family who had a fly swatter with a child's name on it sticking out of the diaper bag. It immediately caught my attention and I kept thinking it surely wasn't for discipline. Maybe a toy or something? Throughout breakfast I kept one eye on them to see what it was for and sure enough when the little boy, who was maybe 3, started misbehaving the dad grabbed the swatter and started smacking the kid with it. I was in disbelief! I really don't think this is normal. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I didn't know what to do. Before we could react they got up and left. This picture is of the dad threatening the boy with it. When he actually did hit him with it I was in disbelief. What would you have done? I still think about it every day. I'm not a confrontational person but I wish I would have done something different that morning. It just still makes me sick to my stomach.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Bump
MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Poor kid, I honestly dont know what I would do. I would want to say something but afraid they would start screaming at me about how I should keep my nose out of their disipline methods.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

I see no problem with this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Well thats a new one lol
Kaybean
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:01 PM
I don't have a problem with the occasional spanking as a last resort, but I don't agree with this. I'm hungry for pancakes now though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BOOGIETHEBOOG
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM

Me either. People make to much out of things now days. This world would be a better place if people mind their own business. 

Quoting Anonymous:

andreamarie
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:07 PM
I would have called the cops to the fathers sorry ass or used the damn thing on him.
Poor kid.
Yes i spank. With a hand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM
Ok, you have no problem. I guess maybe it wasn't my business. It was just really, really odd.

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

Me either. People make to much out of things now days. This world would be a better place if people mind their own business. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Not in public. I have seen some of dhs extended family use a fly swatter before, but I can't imagine walking around with it in public! In a diaper bag?! How old was the kid?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Would you feel the same if the child was being punched in the face?

This is how some see spanking, especially with objects. Do you see why "myob" May not work for them?

Quoting BOOGIETHEBOOG:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured