Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public school used my dd as a babysitter. no joke- EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post

My dh showed up unannounced one day at my dd's public school to visit, and what he saw appalled him.  

He peeked into dd's classroom. There she was, standing in front of her class reading and said "Shh, listen.  quiet." and continued reading.  No adult was present.  7 year olds were left unsupervised while my 7 yr old dd was in the front, stressed, trying to get classmates quiet, and reading to them.  Dh checked in the teacher's lounge, and there was her teacher, facebooking on her laptop, her back was to him so she didn't see him.  Dh waited in the hallway to see just how long she would be in the teacher's lounge.  It was 45 minutes.  Finally, he knocked on the door and said "excuse me, is my dd going to be paid the teacher's salary for the hour she just taught your class?"  The teacher jumped up, said "sir,...um ...I ..uh, was just heading back."  She was angry and shocked.  The assistant principal told dh "you can not come here unannounced again."  This is why we pulled her out of public school, and homeschooled.  Not saying every teacher or school is like this, I just want to warn parents to be AWARE. Show up unannounced, and get involved to make sure this doesn't happen to your kids.  This teacher, with the assistant pricipal's backing, took advantage of my dd and wasted her time.  She was in AIM, and responsible, so teacher decided to take advantage.  Beware moms.

Edit: Ok, you want more detail.  Right after we pulled my dd out, we decided to homeschool.  We homeschooled 2 years. Then, a local charter school opened near us.  We decided to let her try it out.  Now, she has been in charter school for 1.5 years.  In our school, parents are required to volunteer in the school, not kicked out and told "don't show up unannounced." Totally different rules and admin.  That school is crawling with parents every day, and it's encouraged.  My dd is older now and tells us they don't waste her time and she is challenged. she is not used as a babysitter.  Thanks to all the posters who are decent and polite. I appreciate it.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Replies (31-40):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

You can just walk into the school without signing in with security? I would have made a stink about the child being in charge of the classroom for that length of time

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Sassy762:

I pop in and out of the elementary school all the time.....I have never seen a  child in charge of a class. So what happened....was the Teacher disciplined or not???

not that we know of.  principal just got mad at dh and said "you are not allowed here unannounced." Um, it's our child, not the government's.  We can drop in as we please. and it's a good thing he did

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I find it hard to believe that your husband could just pop in unannounced and walk freely around the school without anyone noticing, not with the strict security measures in schools now.

this was several years ago. I wanted to tell other parents about it, so others are aware. and Yes, it really did happen.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
What did your daughter and the school board say?
moniagee
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my mom and mil work in public schools. I actually find this a little hard to believe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyanneW
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I would pull my kid out not because the teacher let your DD "teach" for a few mins but because an adult was allowed to walk in and hang out for that long with no questions from anyone.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this
Omg thank god you told us! How could I ever be so naive! I'm going to withdraw my children from public school TOMORROW and start homeschooling them!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Yep...lots of holes. I have worked in public schools for years. Why would she need to be in the lounge to be on a lap top anyways, they are portable...lol

Quoting two4one:

I truly find this hard to believe.

KarmaP2
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:46 PM
I dont know if this has been asked already. If your DH knew your daughter was stuck leading a class alone why would he allow 45 minutes to pass by before pulling her out of that situation? Also, what kind of phone does he have? Because during that time i would have video recorded my DD in that class and her teacher doing nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayleesmom42328
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
A parent should be able to show up at anytime. Unannounced! Students should never be left alone in the classroom. That I awful that your daughter was left to teach the class. I don't blame you a bit for pulling her out & homeschooling. We plan to homeschool our kids when they reach school age. My sisters & I were homeschooled & got a wonderful education!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Its extremely illegal and you are probably full of shit. This would easily make the news.

I wish it wasn't true but it is.  my dh was there, and saw for himself what really goes on when they think parents aren't watching. school officials don't want it to make the news because they want to keep it hush hush. instead of getting public with it, we pulled her out, because we don't want publicity or expensive legal battles. or have our kids open to public scrutiny.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)