Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Public school used my dd as a babysitter. no joke- EDIT

Posted by   + Show Post

My dh showed up unannounced one day at my dd's public school to visit, and what he saw appalled him.  

He peeked into dd's classroom. There she was, standing in front of her class reading and said "Shh, listen.  quiet." and continued reading.  No adult was present.  7 year olds were left unsupervised while my 7 yr old dd was in the front, stressed, trying to get classmates quiet, and reading to them.  Dh checked in the teacher's lounge, and there was her teacher, facebooking on her laptop, her back was to him so she didn't see him.  Dh waited in the hallway to see just how long she would be in the teacher's lounge.  It was 45 minutes.  Finally, he knocked on the door and said "excuse me, is my dd going to be paid the teacher's salary for the hour she just taught your class?"  The teacher jumped up, said "sir,...um ...I ..uh, was just heading back."  She was angry and shocked.  The assistant principal told dh "you can not come here unannounced again."  This is why we pulled her out of public school, and homeschooled.  Not saying every teacher or school is like this, I just want to warn parents to be AWARE. Show up unannounced, and get involved to make sure this doesn't happen to your kids.  This teacher, with the assistant pricipal's backing, took advantage of my dd and wasted her time.  She was in AIM, and responsible, so teacher decided to take advantage.  Beware moms.

Edit: Ok, you want more detail.  Right after we pulled my dd out, we decided to homeschool.  We homeschooled 2 years. Then, a local charter school opened near us.  We decided to let her try it out.  Now, she has been in charter school for 1.5 years.  In our school, parents are required to volunteer in the school, not kicked out and told "don't show up unannounced." Totally different rules and admin.  That school is crawling with parents every day, and it's encouraged.  My dd is older now and tells us they don't waste her time and she is challenged. she is not used as a babysitter.  Thanks to all the posters who are decent and polite. I appreciate it.

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Lol. Time to backtrack!

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I find it hard to believe that your husband could just pop in unannounced and walk freely around the school without anyone noticing, not with the strict security measures in schools now.

this was several years ago. I wanted to tell other parents about it, so others are aware. and Yes, it really did happen.  

aiyess
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM
That right there is a red flag on what is going in in that school. There is no security and with what is going on with the violence, you should have reported the school principal and staff.

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting moosesmom:

That sucks. Unfortunately we can't just show up. We must check in at the front office. How was he able to walk around the school so freely?

He walked by the front office and didn't sign in. No one said anything to him. Front office is closed off so I guess they didn't notice him. He just walked right to dd's classroom.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep 45 min he stood there and stared at the wall. Right.
Pnukey
by Jenn on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

So your DH allowed your DD to be uncomfortably in charge for an additional 45 minutes instead of pulling her out of the classroom and directing the principal to the classroom to see that the teacher was not there?

I've worked in a  lot of schools and have never seen anything like this. Enjoy your story.

two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Oh, so now it happened several years ago. how many years ago was it? And instead of demanding something be done immediately, he alloed his child to be alone in charge of a classroom for 45 minutes? He sure seems like a responsible one.

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

I find it hard to believe that your husband could just pop in unannounced and walk freely around the school without anyone noticing, not with the strict security measures in schools now.

this was several years ago. I wanted to tell other parents about it, so others are aware. and Yes, it really did happen.  

Peyton and Mackenzie~11/22/04

Do Not Breed or Buy Labels

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
We have to get buzzed into Ds's school. They are even more strict with getting into the school now, since what happened at Sandy Hook. I think most of the CT schools are.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I've been in many and this is far from true. What's your beef with public schools and why do you think this would happen exclusively in them?

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Anonymous:

Its extremely illegal and you are probably full of shit. This would easily make the news.

I wish it wasn't true but it is.  my dh was there, and saw for himself what really goes on when they think parents aren't watching. school officials don't want it to make the news because they want to keep it hush hush. instead of getting public with it, we pulled her out, because we don't want publicity or expensive legal battles. or have our kids open to public scrutiny.

KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Lmao several years ago? Yep....troll.

Quoting two4one:

Oh, so now it happened several years ago. how many years ago was it? And instead of demanding something be done immediately, he alloed his child to be alone in charge of a classroom for 45 minutes? He sure seems like a responsible one.

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM
How many years ago?

Quoting peachesforme:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

peachesforme
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Quoting KarmaP2:

I dont know if this has been asked already. If your DH knew your daughter was stuck leading a class alone why would he allow 45 minutes to pass by before pulling her out of that situation? Also, what kind of phone does he have? Because during that time i would have video recorded my DD in that class and her teacher doing nothing.

he waited to see if this was a 5 minute errand the teacher had to do or not. and unfortunately, it was 45 minutes.  I dont' remember what kind of phone he had when this happened. it was several years ago, I just want to raise awareness so parents are aware. I will always tell people what happened to my dd.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)