Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

we are now on fs..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 50 Replies
But we WILL get off of it by next year.

My husband was medically discharged by the Marine Corps in October of last year. He just started his new job two weeks ago. We didn't have any income in 3months... Which drained our savings...

We don't like the idea of being on assistance but our two kids need to be fed. And dh is working with minimum wage so things are tight. I've been looking for jobs and have been applying since November of last year. No luck for me :(

But here is our plan. We receive $624/mth for FS. So when we go grocery shopping we will use our EBT card BUT from our checking account we will take half of what we spent on grocery into our savings. That way we can get used to partial money being spent once we get off of assistance. I don't want to be those who stay on fs for no good reason and we will get out of this.

I'm sure some of you ladies will bash away but we tried hard to not get on assistance... It was our last result. Oh not to mention dh was given his discharge day which originally was November 29th 2012. But then we found out in Oct that he had a week left. Someone miss informed us so the last pay check he got on November (which we paid extra on all of our bills) was our last pay check period...

Any ways. I want to see if there was anyone who could give me some advice on what else we can do to save money or get out of this funk.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:07 PM
No advice. But good luck mama
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

No advice. But good luck mama
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

you qualify you get them you get back on your feet and you stop using them. I have no problem with that plan. I hope things get better soon for you .

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Thank you so much. I just know so many people abuse it and I don't want it to be like that.

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

you qualify you get them you get back on your feet and you stop using them. I have no problem with that plan. I hope things get better soon for you .

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM
Thank you

Quoting LyTe684:

Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Why didn't he get unemployment? I was discharged for the same reason and did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Why did you have children when you and hubs are unemployable? Do you even have any skills?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Honestly I don't think most people abuse them. Most are in your situation or single moms or people laid off of jobs. People just like to bitch that they are abused. I would also try not to spend the full amount each month so you can learn to get by on a little less when you get off of them. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Im pretty sure she said he was employed by the military and had a medical discharge. Just because she doesn't have a job right now doesn't mean she is unemployable. There are many unemployed people with degrees and years of experience right now. Way to be a bitch though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Why did you have children when you and hubs are unemployable? Do you even have any skills?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured