Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autism is NOT FUN.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 93 Replies

Autism isnt something to be messed with. its not a game. yet sometimes my family doesnt understand that routine is one of the MOST important things about it! 

EVERY sunday we go to my parents house. It is routine in my DDs eyes. she woke up this morning fully expecting us to go to nanas house on schedual as always. 

so i call my mom to let her know we are on our way and she says 'oh not today i dont feel like it' 

at first i thought maybe she was sick. but no. she isnt sick. just doesnt want anyone over. 

which is fine. i mean, i cant control what she chooses to do. its her house after all. 

but seriously. now DDs whole day is thrown off. she was so upset. she thought nana didnt want her.  she finally calmed down as is taking a nap right now. 

ETA

we had a great day BTW. and in case anyone was wondering about my opinion on all of your replies, instead of going through them all i will just make one statement.

Have a nice day. 

Those of you who understood that i was just venting frustration, and just offered an ear and a hug, thank you! You know who you are. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:24 PM
Awe that stinks. :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:35 PM

yeah. once DD wakes up we will go out to subway and to the park (her favorite things lol) maybe we can pick the day back up again lol 

Quoting KairisMama:

Awe that stinks. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:38 PM
7 moms liked this
Well just because she has autism doesnt mean everything is going to go her way all the time. You will eventually have to get her used to change.
Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:39 PM
2 moms liked this

It's something people who haven't dealt with, will never understand.

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this
That's so much easier said than done.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well just because she has autism doesnt mean everything is going to go her way all the time. You will eventually have to get her used to change.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM

yeah i totally get that not everything will always work out. but its still frustrating. 

and seriously, there is no 'get used to change' for her. she will never progress beyond what she is at now at 10. (as far as routine) it will always be a struggle for her. no amount of therapy or adjustment can fix it. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Well my nephew is autistic so I know what its like. My sil didnt do the whole hes soo special needs..She kept treating him like the other kids as best as she could. Yes sometimes hes difficult but honestly change doesnt bother him as much now. Hes 9 btw. He has really benefitted from a mom that said "hes autistic, so what?" The world isnt going to change plans for your kid so they need to be taught change. It can be done. My nephew is doing great now.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Anonymous:

GirlWSemiAuto
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM
I'm very happy that has worked for him. Some children with autism cannot function at all without a schedule. That's not opinion, that's a fact.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well my nephew is autistic so I know what its like. My sil didnt do the whole hes soo special needs..She kept treating him like the other kids as best as she could. Yes sometimes hes difficult but honestly change doesnt bother him as much now. Hes 9 btw. He has really benefitted from a mom that said "hes autistic, so what?" The world isnt going to change plans for your kid so they need to be taught change. It can be done. My nephew is doing great now.

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Anonymous:

elliotmommytobe
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM
Well not every child with autism is the same. Some absolutely need the routine. My brother doesnt but my friend has a meltdown if his routine is changed he cant help. It helps him cope. My brother is 23 and my friend is 22 btw

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 2:52 PM

well im not replying to you anymore after this. because its clear you came here just to be an ass. have a good day! 

*glad your nephew is doing so well*

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting GirlWSemiAuto:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN