Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This is odd, could it be some scam?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM
  • 22 Replies

A few months ago I recieved a facebook message from someone who i didn't know, No info on the page or picture, just a name. Everyday they ask me how I am doing and that is it. Nothing more. Last time I said "Not good, can't pay my phone bill LOL" Then they send me a message back with all the info to pick up 40.00 at walmarts money gram. o.o Said they hoped it helped with my ph one. I asked why they wanted to help a stranger and they said "You seem like a nice person and I want to." My profile is completely private so i'm wondering how I would seem like a nice person and that is a tadd odd to me, however i do apprciate it.Im assuming this could be my mother who i have been estranged from for 7 years..  seems like something she would do, and she was sending my brother money the same way for months. but at the same time, if it isn't then could it be a scam? i don't know how money grams work. I tried to google the name on the profile and nothing at all comes up. However the info on the money gram pickup thing has the same name and location.

Hmm..

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM

To send a money gram they have to have cash I believe. 

mybabybugssmile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Maybe ask who they are and how they know you????.....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rockgal81
by Steph on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:18 PM
I'm not sure you can get scammed by picking up a money gram. The person sending it has to use cash
Pnukey
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, I would ask who s/he is first. Why are you telling your woes to a stranger?

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Why were you estranged?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Uh the fact that they had your name & you told them your issues worries me. But oddly enough go to the pic up place and see if there is one there. In order for a money gram to be sent the other person needs cash. (I believe) & since they didn't ask you for money or what not, it doesn't hurt to see if there is one there. the persons name and crap would have to be on it

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Well we do it all the time on cafemom..

Quoting Pnukey:

Yeah, I would ask who s/he is first. Why are you telling your woes to a stranger?

CrimsonRadiance
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
They had to use cash for a money gram.

That being said... How so they know where you live? I thought you had to know the address of where it is being sent / information about the receiver.

Are you giving your personal information to strangers??
renner450
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:25 PM
For money gram they have to have already paid cash or credit/debit card for you to receive the money. I use money gram all the time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 3:26 PM

just go to walmart- fill out the form to pick it up - then they will be able to tell you if have money to pick up- if you do they will give it to you.  in order to send they give money to them plus a fee to wire to where ever. they would have to know your info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)