Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sue the vet for dogs death?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 52 Replies

OK, so I work with this girl and she tends to beat you over the head with things you dont really want to hear about.  Well shes pregnant and her dog got knocked up to and they were both due around the same time(terrible timing in my opinion but whatever) she was excited.  The other day she said her dog wasnt wanting to eat and laying around(the dog has about 3 weeks until she should deliver) I said maybe shes just full of pups and is having an off day.  Next day shes in a panic when I get in and talking to her hubs on the phone.  Her dog had stopped eating and drinking as was leaking a muddy bloody mess.  They thought she was losing pups.  So they took her to the vet.  The vet said yes shes pregnant and she has a bladder/uti infection.(this took place Monday) sent her home with antibiotics.  Early Friday morning(late Thursday) the dog was howling in pain and wouldnt get up.  They rush her to an ER vet and the immediately say she needs an emergency spay.  She was never pregnant, never had a bladder infection or uti she has pyometra.  We were talking last night the dog has been released Sat afternoon with meds and pain killers. He BIL called and said she was howling again and had tried to get up but couldnt.  So she called the vet they said her pain meds should have lasted 12 hrs(it was only 6 hrs into the does) and that her trying to get up probably was why she was howling.  I told her I would go back to the first vet and tell them she wants her money back for that visit and she should probably talk to them about compensation.  I get into work this morning and her dog passed away.  The infection was to great for her system and she couldnt hold on anymore.  If the first vet had run ANY test, xray blood count they would have seen this problem or if they would have even taken a urine test or tested the discharge they would have seen that it wasnt something so simple and started to look harder this wouldnt have happened.  It would have been taken care of right away.  Would you sue the vet or ask for you money back.  Now our boss is worried about her and being so close to her due date that she will put herself in preterm labor!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM

I'd be suing over that. 

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

sound slike your friend is a shitty pet owner

horseap
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'd be suing over that. 

When I talked to her last the dog was just sore(or so they thought, she was really dying) and she said that she would think about talking to the vet to get their fees back.  But now that they dog passed its a whole new ball game.  ER vets are NOT cheap and it had to be transported to the surgery site and have a blood transfusion!  They are in a few grand for a dead dog.

horseap
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Quoting thetrollcat:

This really isnt the post to start shit please.

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM
10 moms liked this

the dog was mistaken for being pregnant not because of a vet error because the friend is an idiot for not having the dog spayed in the first damn place, and appears the only time the dog sees a vet is when something is really wrong.

This is a shitty pet owner

Quoting horseap:

Quoting thetrollcat:

This really isnt the post to start shit please.

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

bump

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:11 PM

I want to know why the vet didn't bother to run any fucking tests. What a shitty vet. 

Quoting horseap:

Quoting FoxFire363:

I'd be suing over that. 

When I talked to her last the dog was just sore(or so they thought, she was really dying) and she said that she would think about talking to the vet to get their fees back.  But now that they dog passed its a whole new ball game.  ER vets are NOT cheap and it had to be transported to the surgery site and have a blood transfusion!  They are in a few grand for a dead dog.

Anonymous
6 moms liked this

You have to make sure you have the whole story. people take their pets to the vet, find out how ridiculously expensive it is, and choose the least expensive route. A vet can say "I think it's this or that, but to test for it, its going to cost this much" people back out of any tests and hope they can take care of it on their own, based on what the vet thought it could be.

Anonymous
I'd go after the vet. They should have done more extensive tests.
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM

One of our cats had a Pyo several years ago though it's more rare for a feline to have one than a dog. They had to perform a surgery to remove the pus build-up and we were told she was within days of dying had we not had the surgery performed.

The vet and their staff saw the animal therefore they did provide a service for your friend. They should have caught the Pyo at first but assumed that medication was a possible avenue to take.

Honestly, it's good to have vet that won't immediately jump to the conclusion that an animal needs surgery.

I am sorry that she lost her dog but I would suggest to your friend to not react on emotion right now. Have her baby and let things cool for a little while and even consult with a different vet to get THEIR perspective.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)