Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Student on FS (Edit for additional information)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 147 Replies

I'm a full time student, and my husband works full time for a huge hotel chain. We have one child, who is disabled. We received food stamps, and medicaid and SSI for our daughter. (Correction, she receives SSI, and is eligible for it because of her disability, but SSDI is for adults!)

I am curious if the judgmental folks on here consider us leeches too. Am I supposed to quit school and work and ensure that our family never gets in a better situation, just so we don't receive public assistance?

Edit to add:

My husband was full time military when my daughter was born. She has a major disability due to a birth injury caused by the doctor (military) that delivered her. We were chaptered out of the military due to her disability.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, seeing as this is a crazy group of women...  Someone is gonna say you're a leech.  However, YOU should do whatever works for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I went to school full time and supported myself without food stamps. Personally, I'd either pick up a part-time job or go to school part-time and work if I couldn't support my family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
I agree. Some crazy woman on here will call you a leech for getting fs and Medicaid and ten someone else will accuse you of using your dd's SSDI for something other than your daughter. You are doing what's best for you and your family. Good luck!

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Well, seeing as this is a crazy group of women...  Someone is gonna say you're a leech.  However, YOU should do whatever works for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Oh, of course! I'm just curious if they truly believe there is never any reason to need PA. I think they believe it is just trashy, single mom "sluts" with too many kids by a dozen different men, who want a free handout. I don't believe that is the case at all and I hoped that seeing that there are different circumstances, maybe they would consider opening their minds a little. 

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I personally prefer bum or moocher over leech.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

I went to school full time and supported myself without food stamps. Personally, I'd either pick up a part-time job or go to school part-time and work if I couldn't support my family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Supported yourself, or supported a family?

If I were to go to school part time, it would take twice as long to finish and my family would be in this situation for even longer. I currently carry 19 credit hours so that I will finish faster, so that I can start my career sooner, so that my family will be in a better situation (and I will be contributing to the world in general) sooner rather than later.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I wish that had been legal back when I was in college. I had less than ten bucks a week for food.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Interesting.

And when we only received SSDI and Medicaid? Still a moocher?

Quoting Mamabear010:

Mamabear010
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Oh I wasn't calling you either. I just prefer those words. Leech is too visual for me. It makes me cringe.

Quoting Anonymous:

Interesting.

And when we only received SSDI and Medicaid? Still a moocher?

Quoting Mamabear010:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)