Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My boyfriend's son wants to live with us.

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM
  • 40 Replies
I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now. We are planning to live together as soon as possible. I have my two girls,12&14, that will have their own room. Now I would love for his son, who is 15,to live with us. If his mother is ok with this, this mean we will have to accommodate his needs. He can't walk so he uses the wheelchair. What can I do to accommodate his needs? From what I've seen, no one has has anything in their house to meet his needs. I want him to be able to be independent as much as possible. What can I do to make his life easier as possible if he chooses to live with us?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
Ask him
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
3 moms liked this

He's 15, so I would start by asking him what you guys can do to help.  Off the top of my head, a ramp, making sure the doorways are wide enough, and putting bars in the bathroom.  

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Thanks =) I will. I want him to feel comfortable living with us. He hates living with his mom.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Ask him

Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Ok thank you=) I'm excited at the thought of all of us together.

Quoting mommytoeandb:

He's 15, so I would start by asking him what you guys can do to help.  Off the top of my head, a ramp, making sure the doorways are wide enough, and putting bars in the bathroom.  

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Ramps, a counter top specifically for him that is at his level, shower bars and a shower seat. Door ways large enough to fit the wheel chair.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

make sure you have a ramp to get him in and out. Make sure doorways are wide enough to accommodate his wheel chair. Make sure floors are wood or tile. wheel chairs seem to catch on carpet esp throw rugs.Will you or dh be home to help him with personal hygiene and toileting?

elijahXmom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Door ways, ramps, bathroom set up.

Quoting Bluescorpia:

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year now. We are planning to live together as soon as possible. I have my two girls,12&14, that will have their own room. Now I would love for his son, who is 15,to live with us. If his mother is ok with this, this mean we will have to accommodate his needs. He can't walk so he uses the wheelchair. What can I do to accommodate his needs? From what I've seen, no one has has anything in their house to meet his needs. I want him to be able to be independent as much as possible. What can I do to make his life easier as possible if he chooses to live with us?

Hanab818
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Also keeping dishes and cups in a lower cabinet where he can reach.
Bluescorpia
by Shanoon on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
Shower seat. I will definitely ask him if he would like that. He takes a shower while in the bathtub. Maybe the shower seat will be more comfortable for him.

Quoting Hanab818:

Ramps, a counter top specifically for him that is at his level, shower bars and a shower seat. Door ways large enough to fit the wheel chair.

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Quoting mommytoeandb:

This. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN