Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What is quinoa?

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
  • 17 Replies

I'm not sure what it is, how to cook it or what to serve it with.  Does it need any spices?

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM

It is a lot like rice in that you can use it where you would rice. It's very plain unless you cook it in broth or add seasoning. You can also eat it as a hot cereal. It's WONDERFUL for you! :)

jellybeanjean
by All the makeup on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:12 PM
Crap.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Go to All recipes andlook.  It is a very healthy whole grain you can use to replace rice or potatoes-and cooked well it is very good. They have an amazing turkey and quinoa  meat loaf recipe on all recipes

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

http://www.cookingquinoa.net/

This one's a good site for the quinoa clueless.

o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:14 PM
I cook it just like rice. It's very forgiving. I use it in all kinds of foods. I actually made quinoa patties for lunch today. I like to use it to substitute for bread crumbs. It's so good and goods for you. As a side I'll make it with some parmesan and chives. Super easy and so good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Quoting mich.el.le:

It is a lot like rice in that you can use it where you would rice. It's very plain unless you cook it in broth or add seasoning. You can also eat it as a hot cereal. It's WONDERFUL for you! :)

Yes, this!

We love it.  I think the liquid-to-quinoa ratio is 1 and 1/4 cup water to 1 cup grain, but I'm not sure.  I always have to check the bag, lol.

And watch it, because sometimes it cooks really fast, and you don't want it to scorch.

Redwoods_Mama
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Quoting o.O....:

I cook it just like rice. It's very forgiving. I use it in all kinds of foods. I actually made quinoa patties for lunch today. I like to use it to substitute for bread crumbs. It's so good and goods for you. As a side I'll make it with some parmesan and chives. Super easy and so good.

Substitute for- you are a genius. 

GreenAndLean
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:17 PM
Quinoa is good for breakfast or for a side or with butter and cheese for a healthier mac n cheese. Its between a rice and a pasta somewhere. Very very healthy.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:18 PM
I thought it smelled a lot like peas! I rinsed and cooked it in chicken broth according to package directions. We ate it with a crockpot ranch chicken dish! I liked it! It was tastey! Nothing we would eat very often we don't even eat rice often though! Try it! Oh and it is pronounced "keen wah"!
Laura1427
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Honestly, I love it just cooked in chicken stock with a little salt and pepper. It has such a deep, earthy flavor that it really NEEDS nothing. I do add black beans, onions, and garlic at times....but it is so great on its own as well.

You cook it A LOT like rice. You should rinse it before cooking it (I know a lot of people don't rinse rice...and thats the only real difference in the cooking technique).

Quinoa is actually the seed of a plant found in South America. Which I find kind of cool. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)