Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why do parents of autistic kids say this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
They always say (read it 3 times just today) "If you've met one kid with autism, you've met ONE kid with autism" when they are speaking with someone who disagrees with them about something to do with their child but they are the AUTHORITIES on everything autism because they have ONE kid with autism? They are the be all end all experts and just because your friends kid has autism or your niece has autism, you don't know shit because you only know ONE kid with autism.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:55 PM
1 mom liked this

IDK all kids are different and have different struggles so I think this pretty much applies to all kids.  Not all solutions are gonna work for all kids(autism or not)

mamabear55
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I don't say this and my son is autistic. However, I think any mom would be upset if they are not asking for suggestions and someone tries to tell them how they should parent

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
2 moms liked this
They don't think they know everything about autism. But EVERY autistic child is DIFFERENT. Hence the "you've met ONE kid with autism" comment. While they may not be the authority on autistic kids, they ARE the authority on THEIR autistic kid. THEY know their child better than YOU. THEY know what sets off a meltdown or other reaction. THEY know what their child can and cannot handle. YOU do not.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Children with Autism vary greatly. What works for one may not work for another, what bothers one may not bother another.
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I will never know. When you find out tell me
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM
It just rubs me the wrong way when they ask for help and then get all angry and defensive when someone suggests something that's worked for another child they know with autism. Some people legitimately try to help and many of these mothers are very defensive.
Tinabee88
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I don't know.

TTC2Long
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Well, I've never heard anyone say that but this would be my interpretation: They are not saying they know everything about ALL kids with autism, they are saying they know everything about THEIR kid with autism. That's the whole point. Autism and how it presents varies extremely widely and autistic kids often get lumped together. They are saying the OPPOSITE of your interpretation.
fairyjester
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

i am only an authority on one kid with autism

dont care what the fuck anyone else says.

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:12 PM

my son has pdd nos(a form of autism) and my nephew has aspergers. my mil tried to compare the 2 and get me to do what worked for her. yeah it doesnt work  that way. she finally realized i was  right after spending time with Chris and w/e worked  on nephew didn't  work on my ds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)