Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

he abandoned us, didn't hear from him for years, now he's in prison and wants contact?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

My ex husband, abondoned me and our son 3 years ago, took off with our only vehicle and all our money. We were completely screwed and I'm really lucky my family stepped in and helped us. We've moved past it and moved on, I'm now engaged and pregnant with my second child, I'm happy, my first son is happy and calls my fiance 'dad'. We are doing very well without his bf in the picture...

Well, my ex ended up getting hooked on heroin and committed a series of break ins and ended up getting caught, he's now doing 4 years in prison. He contacted us through his brother, he would like to fix our relationship and get back together, and he would like me to start bringing our son in for visitations..

-Hell NO I am not getting back together with him, and I made that very clear

-The prison is a 6 hour drive from where I live, and when I asked my son (who is now 5 years old) if he wanted to visit, he started crying and said he was scared of jail

I personally DO NOT want to see my ex, and I really don't want my son to either. I would rather wait until he gets out of prison, and show me he can be responsible and be sober and hold a job before he can see our son.

He's calling me a bad parent for keeping our son from seeing him, and he's telling me that my son will hate me later in life for not allowing him to have contact. Am I in the wrong here? Should I allow visitation just because its the biological father?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
No no no. All NO.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You're doing a fine job, it's not like you hid your ex from your son. He knows who his dad is, where his dad is, and it's not your fault that the poor boy is scared of jail.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I'd do exactly as you are now.
dominic062407
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM
No. Just no
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mstricey
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
3 moms liked this
Screw him. Trust me it's just jail talk. When he gets out more than likely he'll take off again.
hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
I think that you asking your son whether he wants to see him or not proves you aren't a bad parent. If I was in your situation I'd do the same thing. You have to do what's best for you and the welfare of your child. Great job!
MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

You are not doing anything wrong and dont allow visitation and get full custody. It makes me laugh that hes calling you a bad parent when he abandoned his 2 year old son.........I didnt know abandoning your child made you a great parent.

ashthecat
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
You are doing the right thing. It doesn't sound like that "man" has ever done anything to deserve visitation with you, or you DS.
catrig
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I would handle it how you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nunyabusiness
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM

No way!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)