Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is my mil mean or am I crazy?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 194 Replies
1 mom liked this
My kids are 18 months apart. In my family on birthdays, the birthday child gets 1 or 2 presents and the sibling(s) get one small present. If it's a party then all the children get a small toy or goody bag. Well, my mil thinks we are crazy. She just mailed my son's presents because she lives out of state and my son has (literally) 11 presents in this big box and my daughter didnt get anything. She's so upset that there is a huge box of presents for ds and none for her. What do you all do? Does everyone get something, or does the birthday child get gobs and noone else gets anything?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theosgirl45
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM
19 moms liked this

In our family only the one having a bday gets presents.  If we have a large party we might do small goody bags.  But we don't buy the sibling a special present.

JakesMom712
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I give gift bags to all the kids at the party, usually crappy dollar store toys and candy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Miller0305
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
18 moms liked this

The birthday kid gets a present not the sibling.  We've always done it that way, my kids don't complain,  And if they did, I'd tell them get over it, it's not your birthday.

JayeC2
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, whatever works for you, but we do not do this in our family.  It's the birthday child's day, why does anyone else get anything?  I mean, we do goodie bags if we have a party, but I would never insist on family bringing the other two little ones a gift.  

Pink.Frosting
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM
19 moms liked this

If it's your it's your birthday, you get presents.  If it's not your birthday, then you don't. 

I think if a parent wants to give something small to the other sibling, then more power to them.  But to expect others who are giving to the birthday child to also give to the sibling?  No.

jbirchard
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Quoting Miller0305:

The birthday kid gets a present not the sibling.  We've always done it that way, my kids don't complain,  And if they did, I'd tell them get over it, it's not your birthday.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blondie.mom
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
We do goodie bags at parties for other kids, but the birthday child is the only one that gets gifts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SiempreSola
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
2 moms liked this

Only the birthday kid gets presents.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM
This

Quoting Miller0305:

wintermermaid
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:22 PM

Birthday kid gets the presents. 

goody bags if there is a party with kids but I don't see goody bags as presents. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN