Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Babysitter Drama

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Theres a boy that lives next door to me, 16 years old and has 3 younger stepbrothrs and sisters. He has been babysitting for us during the day in the past summer and watches the kids sometimes after school. My husband and I were going out for 2 days and I asked if he could watch my kids, Of course he said yes and I thought it was no big deal. I couldn't have felt more sorry for the kid when we got back. One day before we left my five year old decided that pants weren't his thing anymore, after constant efforts for him to keep them on he still refused. At the same time when we left my three year old didn't want the babysitter to see him while using the bathroom, so he just went hid in a corner and went in his pants. On top of that the two were hyper all weekend and wouldn't go to sleep the first night, resulting in them being cranky in the morning. I felt really sorry and gave him $50 additional.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Replies (61-67):
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Didnt you hear? Every other man on the planet is a pervert.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

why?

Quoting April620:

The only male that will ever watch my child alone is my husband. That's it.

Quoting Tinabee88:

I wouldn't let a male teen babysit my kids unless he was a trusted family member and maybe not even then. No way.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Good thing you paid him extra
Shy_Dia
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:50 PM

that must be one good 16 year old!

i dont think i'd trust my 15 year old brother to watch my 7 year old son for an entire 24 hours- let alone 2 days! and my son is pretty easy to care for- stick him in front of a video game and he's set for life. lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I was molested over the span of a summer by my 14 year old FEMALE babysitter. I was 5. I'm actually more trusting of teenage boys as babysitters.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tinabee88:

I wouldn't let a male teen babysit my kids unless he was a trusted family member and maybe not even then. No way.

I have a friend that had a female teenage babysitter sexually assault her kids.  Doesn't matter whether it's male or female.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:10 PM

if the babysitter is a neighbor, their own parents are probably close enough that it isn't an issue. I babysat long periods of time before as a teen with my parents on call the whole time. I handled everything but if i had a problem i knew who to call to be there right away. dunno why you guys are freaking out over that. seems like she wouldn't have left her kids with the 16 year old if there was any kind of trust issue at all. 

i think you did a nice thing offering the extra money! 

Moe1521
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Same here. I used to babysit one girl overnight weekends because her dad worked overnights. I was 15 and some of us teenagers were actually responsible, had proper training, and knew exactly what to do if an emergency happened. I became an aunt when I was six years old. To this day I have 12 nieces and nephews, so I've had quite a bit of practice. Just because someone lets a teenager watch their kid overnight(s) doesn't make them bad, irresponsible, uncaring parents. It means they trust who they have chosen to wait their kids.

At OP: Ignore the haters. There is such thing as sheltering your children too much in y opinion. Good job on the extra tip!!

Quoting JenB1983:

Holy crap......some of you ladies blow my mind. I was watching kids for a weekend by the time I was 15. And that was a town over, not across a yard. LOL

Tinabee88
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I actually meant leery as in suspicious. They do rhyme so I get them confused.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting April620:

leer·y
/ˈli(ə)rē/
Adjective
Cautious or wary due to realistic suspicions: "a city leery of gang violence".
Synonyms
canny - suspicious - sly - wily - distrustful - artful

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tinabee88:

leery or weary I can't think right now lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Tinabee88:

Yes, but even than I'd be weary.

Quoting ThatSkinnyGirl:

What about a female teen?

Quoting Tinabee88:

you would be tired? Why?

You mean wary?

Definition of WARY

: marked by keen caution, cunning, and watchfulness especially in detecting and escaping danger

- war·i·ly \ˈwer-ə-lē\adverb

- war·i·ness \ˈwer-ē-nəs\noun

Examples of WARY

1. The store owner kept a wary eye on him.

2. Investors are increasingly wary about putting money into stocks.

3. Great critics are sometimes wary of great authors. Eliot and Pound usually sidled past Shakespeare. -William Logan, New York Times Book Review, 11 Feb. 2001

4. Though sycamore wood was much used, pioneers were wary of the tree's fuzzy leaves, which they believed brought allergies and even consumption. -Arthur Plotnik, The Urban Tree Book: An Uncommon Field Guide for City and Town, 2000

5. Modern literary novelists ... wary of neat solutions and happy endings, have tended to invest their mysteries with an aura of ambiguity and to leave them unresolved. -David Lodge, The Art of Fiction, 1992

6. [+]more

LOL-or weary-meaning tired!   I see that over and over on here...weary for wary. Sure she might have meant leery...but I doubt it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN