Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

8 day old newborn issues... HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 55 Replies

My older son is almost 6, so I'm a little rusty in the newborn department I guess.  Anyways, my brand new little guy has slept pretty much ALL day today (compared to the past week).  He has also eaten significantly less than he did the last three days AND yesterday he didn't poop all day. He finally pooped last night and really early this morning, but hasn't pooped since. The poops he did have, though, were not hard... they seemed normal.    Does this sound like something is wrong? If so, what could it be? Obviously it's Sunday and 8 pm, so I can't call his pedi... I will for sure tomorrow, though.  Thanks in advance ladies!

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Is he formula or breastfed, no judgment but breastfed babies can go a week without a BM mine did. Sleeping patterns change and as long as he's eating and having wet diapers, and does not seem like he's having tummy trouble, fever,I don't think anythings wrong.
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:15 PM
This

Quoting Anonymous:

Is he formula or breastfed, no judgment but breastfed babies can go a week without a BM mine did. Sleeping patterns change and as long as he's eating and having wet diapers, and does not seem like he's having tummy trouble, fever,I don't think anythings wrong.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spunky946
by Emerald Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Why can't you call the Ped? I'm sure they have someone on call. I think it's normal, but my youngest is 4.
orionsmom1
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Well, I am trying to breastfeed (having major supply issues). I attempt to nurse him about every 2 hours or whenever he seems hungry otherwise. Sometimes he seems to get some from me, sometimes not so much.  If he is still hungry after nursing 15-30 minutes on each side, I give him some formula. I only started that on day three when he started to become inconsolable.  He is peeing a lot, so no worries there.  He doesn't feel hot and his rectal temp is normal. He does seem to be gassy (he farts a lot) and he gets the hiccups quite frequently.  Otherwise, he seems very content... not uncomfortable or anything. 

Quoting Anonymous:

LyndollyCarlos
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Sounds okay to me but just watch him as long as he is peeing he is okay
orionsmom1
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

You're probably right; I didn't think of on call. I haven't even met the guy yet; our first appt. with him is this coming Friday.  I will try and see if there is an answering service for after hours. 

Quoting spunky946:

Why can't you call the Ped? I'm sure they have someone on call. I think it's normal, but my youngest is 4.

Trisha234
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM
You can call the pediatrician and leave a message with the answering service. A doc will call you back. Newborns sleep all the time though. Like for the first two months or more! I wouldn't worry. Does he have a fever and was his last poop firm or loose? I'd be concerned if it was firm or if he has a fever.
MelanieMans
by Sapphire Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

He may not be feeling well, also if he doesnt poop all that uch give him a dropper of prune juice and see if that helps, and call his doctor tomorrow.

momof2891
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:22 PM
As long as he is pee peeing ok then I would just watch him. Sleep patterns can change daily.
orionsmom1
by Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM

He definitely pees A LOT lol

Quoting LyndollyCarlos:

Sounds okay to me but just watch him as long as he is peeing he is okay

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)