Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Troll Cat (and other Hard of Hearing moms of course)

SORRY!! I didnt even think to clarify! 

HH means hard of hearing. 

Trollcat, you are HH right? Or am i thinking of someone else? 

I have some loss, but thats not the point of the post lol, even if i had NO loss i would still be asking lol. 

Anyway, I homeschool. And DD wants to learn a foriegn language. But she has severe speech delay, and her therapist said that Spanish (her choice) would be a bad idea at this point, and that we should wait until she masters Rs (she cant say Rs at all lol) before learning spanish. (the R sound is a must in spanish) 

SO her second choice was ASL. 

Unfortunately, i cant find ANY programs! 

We have been learning the alphabet, and its tons of fun. And I know some basics (from a project i did in HS) and i taught  her how to introduce herself and ask for the bathroom. lol

Can any of you please direct me to an ASL learning program? cost or free makes no difference. I would like to find an actual kit that would be sent to us, but online only would be fine too. 

Thanks ladies!!! 

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:19 PM
I'm HH, and I just called 211 and they directed me to a low cost ASL class in our area. We paid one low free, and our whole family was covered and could attend.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Well... I bought videos myself for my seven year old it covers basic words food, whether and so forth. I noticed a lot of sites will charge for full dictionary of sign language. Since both of you are new to sign, you both would benefit best from videos.  I also recommend getting children sign language book breaking down signs then helping you construct sentences set up for a child level.

Here is one video I have purchased http://www.amazon.com/American-Sign-Language-Kids-Beginner/dp/B002NVY91U/ref=pd_sim_mov_5

Well anyhow I was surfin amazon and the books we use

American Sign Language Dictionary 3rd Edition like a big sign bible

Then  have a book called Signing Made Easy by Rod Butterworth....  Its alright...

I do have one for like kids, elementary it teaches sentence structure in sign but Im not sure where the book is. Dont buy books that only teach words or letters, look for kids books that teach sentences. Videos will guide you on individual words you are not sure what the book is signing (visual in a book is hard if you dont know the sign).

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Just found the kids dictionary LOL

Signing For Kids by Mickey Flodin

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

BTW teaching your child sign language and only using it now and then they will forget (we are having issues right now at home with this) Kids have to see it to learn it reputitiously. I would recommend you guys practice talking in sign language at home to help improve sign and sentence structure.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Thanks hon :) its more of a deveolpmental disorder, she is autistic and has global delays in quite a few areas. You are absolutely right, kids even at early ages can be mean about it when they dont understand her :(

here hearing checks perfect though. i think she just really wants to learn a new language, and her therapist said this would be a great one for her, as it will help with her motor skills too (also delayed) 

Quoting jakesmom323:

My son had an upper and lower frenelum tie (lip and tongue tie). He could not say mommy or much of anything at 2 and had him checked out by an ENT. I was right and he couldn't talk because his mouth was literally held down:( He had the surgery two months later and he began speech therapy 3 months later every week. It has been 9 months and there is a drastic improvement. Just was wondering if you had that checked or if it's more of a mental/developmental disorder? Either way hugs, because it's been a rough journey for us and it hurt his self esteem at preschool because kids notice stuff like that so early:(

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:35 PM

Thank you so much for all of that hon! 

and i will definitely do that. i was actually laying in bed last week thinking about it, and when DD has anxiety attacks and/or meltdowns, she gets pretty non verbal, and does a lot of grunting, and once we know signs more, I want to see if speaking to her with signs will get her to communicate with me, rather than trying to get her to speak. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

BTW teaching your child sign language and only using it now and then they will forget (we are having issues right now at home with this) Kids have to see it to learn it reputitiously. I would recommend you guys practice talking in sign language at home to help improve sign and sentence structure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM
What's HH?
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:36 PM

bump

thetrollcat
by Meow on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM

The best benefit you will both have is signing and speaking both, but YOU have to sign all the time for her to learn it. She will only learn it by watching you.

Im sure she will pick it up, start with simple words, do small sentences dont worry about using every word at first. Sign things in short phrases I go bathroom.... Then later I go to bathroom and so forth.

She will be less frustrated if she can just break it down she can communicate with the basics but you should practice signing full sentences as much as possible.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

and i will definitely do that. i was actually laying in bed last week thinking about it, and when DD has anxiety attacks and/or meltdowns, she gets pretty non verbal, and does a lot of grunting, and once we know signs more, I want to see if speaking to her with signs will get her to communicate with me, rather than trying to get her to speak. 

Quoting thetrollcat:

~~~~~         =^..^=        ~~~~~
I'm not the cat lady type. I'm more like an actual cat. I want affection when I want it and on my own terms. The rest of the time I want to claw out your eyes and piss in your shoes.  

It's wrong to be a bully with one exception. It's ok to bully those you THINK are a bully.

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

ok thank you so much! 

Quoting thetrollcat:

The best benefit you will both have is signing and speaking both, but YOU have to sign all the time for her to learn it. She will only learn it by watching you.

Im sure she will pick it up, start with simple words, do small sentences dont worry about using every word at first. Sign things in short phrases I go bathroom.... Then later I go to bathroom and so forth.

She will be less frustrated if she can just break it down she can communicate with the basics but you should practice signing full sentences as much as possible.

Quoting JP-StrongForTwo:

Quoting thetrollcat:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured