Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is Alimony a good or bad thing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

My dh has signed a legal contract saying that if we ever divorce, as long as don't cheat, he will pay alimony until if/when I get married. I am a sahm, so this makes me feel better.

What do you think of alimony.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I think its important, especially for SAHMs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not much into prenuptial agreements, but that sounds reasonable. I just don't like going into marriage assuming it will end in divorce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM

me either but after 5 years and our first and only child, he signed it.

Quoting lucsch:

I'm not much into prenuptial agreements, but that sounds reasonable. I just don't like going into marriage assuming it will end in divorce.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I think alimony is ur insurance in case u lost ur provider to someone or u leaving him. Now my question is why would he even do that to u had u sign a contact for alimony but if u cheat on him u will end up with nothing. Is he beting that u would cheat on him ???
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:42 PM

I think it should only be for someone who is a stay at home mom while married and it should only continue until the youngest starts school (full day).  You could easily move in with another man but never get married and to me that is taking advantage of your ex husband.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:44 PM

no, that is the only reason he would divorce me. anything else and it would be his call.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think alimony is ur insurance in case u lost ur provider to someone or u leaving him. Now my question is why would he even do that to u had u sign a contact for alimony but if u cheat on him u will end up with nothing. Is he beting that u would cheat on him ???

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

If you're the receiver it's great!!  if you're the payer it probably sucks! I hope neither of you ever have to find out!! Have a long and enjoyable marriage!

starmoonlight
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM
Me and hubby both agree that when a marriage ends, everything that comes with it including financial aspects ends. If we were to divorce, I wouldn't want his money and he wouldn't want my money. Everybody is different. I don't care what everyone else does but I will not be his financial responsibility if we divorce.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I agree, however our son is special needs and need help. although that would probably be covered under child support right?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it should only be for someone who is a stay at home mom while married and it should only continue until the youngest starts school (full day).  You could easily move in with another man but never get married and to me that is taking advantage of your ex husband.

boys2men2soon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 10:46 PM

I agree with alimony if the recipient was a Sahm by mutual agreement or if the recipient has a much lower earning potential.   There should be a limit on the years it is paid, though.      I disagree with paying until remarriage, simply because I know too many women who choose to not marry simply to receive alimony.....even though they are living with and have children with another man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)