Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If SS cannot tell the truth, I will personally make his life a living hell.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

So, today, I was rearranging his room and found instructions for a BIG project that was due on Jan. 31st. At first he tried telling me it was nothing and that it was old. ONce the truth came out, I made him work on it all day even though I knew he would still get an F.

We have told him before that lying will not be tolerated, and today he learned that he might as well do his work, because even if he gets an F for an incomplete, we will STILL  make his butt do it at home, and turn it into his teacher with a note saying why he didn't turn it in on time.

This is only the latest of a long string of behavior like this. He's not getting it. He has been grounded for what seems like months! All privilages have been removed. Today we did the one thing we didn't want to do... took away Hockey =( He loves playing hockey =(

Did we do the right thing? Any suggestions? Anyone experience this with their kids?

He is 11 years old in the 5th grade and starts Jr. High next year.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I have no experience with this but I agree with what you did 100%.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:11 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:15 PM
1 mom liked this
i am going through this with my 12 yr old son. he will never admit to a lie even if i have the proof right in front of him and it seems like nothing is sinking in. argh why is parenting so dang hard?!
MeeshMom
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Yes sports are a privilege. If he goes to high school or college and wants to play on a team he must maintain his GPA above 2.0. So he needs to learn the hard way. 

disneymom2two
by Ruby Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I am thankful our schools have grading online so I can check assignments and see if something was missed.  If something is missing, I'm on the kids.  I definitely think what you did was right.

supermomz25
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:22 PM

you absolutely did the right thing. we had to do something like that with our oldest son last school year. he was forgetting to do homework, not turning in work, etc. we took all privileges away. he hated it so much, but it ended up working out because this year he has made a complete turn around. he gets his work done and he has only forgotten one thing and he admitted it and had to do detention. he came right home and told us. we are so proud of him and all of his accomplishments. BTW, he does have aspergers and he has modifications, but he is still expected to do the work his teachers give him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Right? Nothing like a kid screwing up to make mom and dad feel like a huge failure. lol! I feel like I've done something wrong =(

Quoting Anonymous:

i am going through this with my 12 yr old son. he will never admit to a lie even if i have the proof right in front of him and it seems like nothing is sinking in. argh why is parenting so dang hard?!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Jr High?

Is that what you call middle school? I couldn't imagine 6th grade being Junior High.

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Normally I don't condone taking away extracurricular activities as a punishment, but in this situation I think you did the right thing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zoo003
by Platinum Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 11:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is good that you made him do the work, even though he was going to get a F.  You stated that he is your ss, do you think he may be acting out due to some resentment regarding his dad and you being together?  Some kids handle things differently and if you think he is (which he may not be), then I would suggest some counseling.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)