Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Step moms and grandparents

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 24 Replies
How does your family treat your step children?
My best friends mom shows obvious favoritism to "her blood" grand kids and all but ignores her step child completely like he doesn't even exist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nunyabusiness
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM

That is so sad. My step moms family were jerks to me and my brother. No other experience with step parents.

AllieReed
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:56 AM

That is really sad. My family treats my SD the same. Same goes for my DD with my DH's family. I will say that each Grandmother may do something extra for the "blood" grandchild, but it is never in front of the other child. The girls know not to brag about something like that either. 

At Christmas, both girls have an equal amount of gifts. I am thankful that both of our mothers are mindful of both girls.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this

My family has always treated any step-children who come into the family as if they are blood and had always been there. We were a blended family when I was growing up and we never used the words step or half in reference to siblings. We were always just brothers and sisters.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:58 AM

My parents don't know my ss and don't want to. I no longer have contact with my family. Kind of ironic because both of my parents have half and step siblings!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Well I don't have any step kids but my situation can relate.

Dh's dad got remarried and the favortism they show for his wifes grandkids over my kid is beyond annoying. Luckily ds is only 5 so he doesn't really see it. I just hope it stays that way as he gets older.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Well, this is fairly new to our family. My brother is engaged to a lady who has a son from a previous relationship, he has no kids of his own. And my neice just married a man with 2 kids, she has none of her own.We are trying our hardest to include these kids and make him feel just as much a part of the family as the rest of the family. My mom has already started calling the boy her grandson and the other 2 her great grand children. I consider them my neices and nephews. (however it is odd to think of myself as a great aunt! I'm only 35!! Ha!) It is difficult, but we are making an effort. And we don't show favoritism, I don't think. At Christmas and at birthdays we will give the same things to them just like we would the blood relatives. I think it is only the right thing to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Thats how it is for my friend but its her mom that ignores the sks. She buys tons of things for blood grandkids but will tell the sk that they didnt get anything because they have their own grandparents to buy them things. I should add they have one grandma that is alive that lives 2000 miles away the sks live with my friend fulltime their mom died four urs ago. My friend finally told her mom either do for all the kids or dont do for any of them.i could never treat a child that way my own grandparents never treated my step cousins any different from rest of us. Unless you knew you would never guess they werent related by blood with the way they were treated
AngelaR
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

As for step Grandparents ( My mom) she does not treat my brothers stepdaughters well as I would like to see it (I have no step children) I myself have confronted her about it and she gets upset but there is really nothing I can do about it since they are not my (step) kids. I believe I don't treat them any different than any of my other nieces or nephews. "blood" does not always make family.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My step-dads family treated us very well growing up. His mom told everyone we were her grandkids and spoiled us at Christmas and birthdays. Of course, he didn't have any children of his own, so there was nothing to compare ourselves to. My dad remarried at one point in his life. I hated the fact that one of her daughters lived with them and I didn't. And she definitely gave them more at Christmas and birthdays then she did us. It was difficult, but they were only married for about 3 years, but they lived together for about 7.

scperdomo
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:05 AM
My parents treat my step son the same, I might even say they kind of go a little farther to make sure he knows they consider him part of the family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)