Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

wouldnt the world be a better place, without religion.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Who agrees it should be banned throughout the world.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Replies (181-190):
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this

I find it interesting that these posts are 99.9% of the time made by someone who seems very angry.

Yes, people have done a lot of evil in the name of religion, but people also do a LOT of good because of it too. People like you just only focus on the bad.

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I happen to agree with you and I don't deny that things change.  I just don't think you can take one species and make a whole different species out of it.

Quoting jjchick75:

Just a heads up neither the theory of evolution nor Darwin says we did. That is misinformation that Christians(and some other people) have latched on and continue to spread. Evolution is not about where we came from but rather how we and other living things change and continue to change in order for their species to survive. Nothing more and nothing less. I wish people would get their facts straight. 

I'm a Christian who believes in evolution. If you actually set down and study it and not just believe what you are told, you will see they actually go together beautifully. 

Quoting jillbailey26:

Yea, I can't say I agree with that.  The fact is, we share a percentage of DNA with a whole slew of animals.  It doesn't mean we are or came from them.

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

Except it's been proven we are primates.

Quoting jillbailey26:

We share 99% of our DNA with pigs too.  Does that mean we came from them?

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

Not monkeys, genius-apes.

Explain how we share 98% of our dna with them then. Coincidence?

This "free country" with "freedom of speech" says I have the right to call you crazy, cause well, you are.

Quoting Anonymous:

The OP asked a question about religion, and I gave an answer. Last I checked it was a FREE COUNTRY w/ freedom of speech. I'll say whatever I want to. The only nuts in the world are the ones who believe we came from monkeys! I believe in the big bang theory myself.... "God said "Bang, and it was!" :) 

Quoting Anonymous:

Then keep it to yourself or talk about it with the other nuts.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. I'm a Christian. Proud of my faith & happy to have a God to believe in.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Name the wars that were not about religion, but about quests for knowledge by the non-religious?

Quoting Aleta775:

And? You are talking about one war out of how many? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Hitler was a Christian.  

Quoting Aleta775:

Ah ha,  but religion is still not at the heart of it is it? The true cause for war is one of selfishness from selfish leaders, and they use religion as a platform to gain obedience. However, again, the real reason is usually something else altogether. Religion is merely a carrot by your example. Also, it was not just a threat of death for resistance of conversion that caused people to die. Many times when people were captured they simply refused to be slaves or prisoners of war. Rather than fight with people that were none compliant, they were killed. It wasn't just their religion they were holding on to, but also dignity because they didn't want to give up their entire cultural upbringing to conform to a foreign nation and be forced to learn a whole new way of life and language. That goes far beyond the element of religion. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They slaughtered anyone who opposed their religion.  They always preached they were in the right because god chose their people, whether in their mind it was for greed or other reasons.  It was a common theme for men to start a war by telling their soldiers they were going off to do what god asked and all those soldiers truly believed they were killing for god.  Soldiers are followers.  As followers they want a cause to champion and then they'll walk into death for you.  Those at the top always use religion as that cause because it's so easy to get those under you to follow.

Look at our last foray into Iraq.  It was done for oil (and failed miserably), but the masses believed it was for retribution against the muslim terrorists.  You can't deny that the fighting men thought they were doing what was right by slaughtering muslims.  God said it was right.  An eye for an eye. They were unaware of the financial goal.  It's easy to get the followers to fight for you if you use religion as the excuse.

Quoting Aleta775:

There haven't been that many. With that being said, there are far more wars that have occurred for other reasons besides religion. There have been empires that pushed and extended their boarders. As they grew, they slaughtered anyone that opposed them. This is generally the biggest reason why wars have been fought, and those wars have caused the most death. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The crusades....the Spanish Inquisition....Muslim Conquests...French Wars of Religion...Thirty Year War...I could go on and on....

Can you name a few wars that were begun under the guise of enlightenment by the non-religious?

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting mary841108:

I do. I feel it is the root of all evil, too many wars have been started in the name of religion and so have a ton of senseless killing.

Secularism and "enlightenment" has quite a number of senseless deaths in their belts...
Funny how those who go on and about the evils of religion ignore the wonders it has inspired.

MeAndTommyLee
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Who agrees that ignorance should be banned  throughout the world.........

MamaTwinkleA
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I think people would just fixate on something else to fight about. Getting rid of religion wouldn't fix much in my opinion. There are good and bad people in general. I don't think religion is the determining factor.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I love learning new things.  I just tend to not stress over things I cannot change.  Like the past.  Then again, I've never been into history all that much.

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh, so in reality you have no curiosity.  No desire to expand your thinking and learn new things.  You are content to read a compendium of short stories written in 100-300AD and end your knowledge there.  If it were up to you we'd be living in a cave fearful of fire.

Okay.  I differ.  I have a thirst and quest for knowledge.

Quoting jillbailey26:

It's not really something I feel the need to wrap my head around.  We're here.  I don't see the big fuss of one trying to prove something over the other.  

There is a God and if the information was important enough, he would have shared it.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Problem is, we have watched the evolutionary process in fast reproducing species.  We can carbon date bones that to 100's of thousands of years before religion says the planet was created.  How do you wrap your head around the discrepencies between religious writings and what we know to be fact?

If there was a god, don't you think he would have shared accurate information with those documenting his teachings and laws instead of information that can be disputed?

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

"The crusades....the Spanish Inquisition....Muslim Conquests...French Wars of Religion...Thirty Year War...I could go on and on....

Can you name a few wars that were begun under the guise of enlightenment by the non-religious?"

Where to start...?
The French Revolution- terrible genocides of religious people in order to implement "The Age of Reason"
The Marxist-Leninist and Stalinist regimes of the former USSR- between 10-20 million dead under Stalin alone.
The Atheist Regime of Albania (1969s)- Massacres and priests and other religious leaders imprisoned in work camps
The 1949 Chinese Revolution- tens of millions dead in the bane of "Cultural Revolution"
The reign of Kim Jung II in North Korea
The Khmer Rouge of Pol Pot in Cambodia- about 20% of the population executed, imprisoned and starved in the name of secularism.
epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Exactly.

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Absolutely not. I think a lot of people NEED religion. It is what keeps them grounded and sane. A lot of people are fearful of death and some people even are good people just because they are afraid of God and want to do right.

I am agnostic, but I think religion is a good thing for most people.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope, definitely don't agree. I look at it this way without religion of any kind then what are people striving to be? We practice because we believe, we believe in a higher being, a greater purpose, we believe in being a better us and living a good life (not all). You ( in general) don't need a religion to become a better you but people who believe have something they want to strive to be. Having morals and standards and a way to go about life like its a path, once again not saying people who don't believe in a religion don't have. I can't speak for those people because I don't know what they think about or how they think. I'm not trying to offend anyone by any means. My religion which I will not mention teaches me that I have a purpose here on this Earth and i should everyday carry out that purpose then when its my time my life's journey is fulfilled.
Aleta775
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:16 AM

How about the expansion of the ancient Roman Empire. Or the slave trades in Africa that happened long before slavery in the US. Attila the Hun. The Vikings. The battle of Hastings. Need I go on? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Name the wars that were not about religion, but about quests for knowledge by the non-religious?

Quoting Aleta775:

And? You are talking about one war out of how many? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Hitler was a Christian.  

Quoting Aleta775:

Ah ha,  but religion is still not at the heart of it is it? The true cause for war is one of selfishness from selfish leaders, and they use religion as a platform to gain obedience. However, again, the real reason is usually something else altogether. Religion is merely a carrot by your example. Also, it was not just a threat of death for resistance of conversion that caused people to die. Many times when people were captured they simply refused to be slaves or prisoners of war. Rather than fight with people that were none compliant, they were killed. It wasn't just their religion they were holding on to, but also dignity because they didn't want to give up their entire cultural upbringing to conform to a foreign nation and be forced to learn a whole new way of life and language. That goes far beyond the element of religion. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They slaughtered anyone who opposed their religion.  They always preached they were in the right because god chose their people, whether in their mind it was for greed or other reasons.  It was a common theme for men to start a war by telling their soldiers they were going off to do what god asked and all those soldiers truly believed they were killing for god.  Soldiers are followers.  As followers they want a cause to champion and then they'll walk into death for you.  Those at the top always use religion as that cause because it's so easy to get those under you to follow.

Look at our last foray into Iraq.  It was done for oil (and failed miserably), but the masses believed it was for retribution against the muslim terrorists.  You can't deny that the fighting men thought they were doing what was right by slaughtering muslims.  God said it was right.  An eye for an eye. They were unaware of the financial goal.  It's easy to get the followers to fight for you if you use religion as the excuse.

Quoting Aleta775:

There haven't been that many. With that being said, there are far more wars that have occurred for other reasons besides religion. There have been empires that pushed and extended their boarders. As they grew, they slaughtered anyone that opposed them. This is generally the biggest reason why wars have been fought, and those wars have caused the most death. 

Quoting Anonymous:

The crusades....the Spanish Inquisition....Muslim Conquests...French Wars of Religion...Thirty Year War...I could go on and on....

Can you name a few wars that were begun under the guise of enlightenment by the non-religious?

Quoting momto2boys973:

Quoting mary841108:

I do. I feel it is the root of all evil, too many wars have been started in the name of religion and so have a ton of senseless killing.

Secularism and "enlightenment" has quite a number of senseless deaths in their belts...
Funny how those who go on and about the evils of religion ignore the wonders it has inspired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN