Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'd Forgotten How Easy Life is With Just One Kid; EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents intended to take both of my girls for the weekend to spoil them rotten and give me some much needed rest. They rarely spend the night away from me much less spend a weekend away from me. However, my oldest (5) came home from preschool slightly under the weather with an upset tummy, so I kept her with me to make sure it didn't get worse (luckily, it didn't and she was fine by Sat. morning). So for the weekend, I just had one child, and OMG, it was paradise!!! She and I slept until 9:30. I didn't even know I was still capable of sleeping that late!!!

During the day, Saturday, we laid across the bed and just talked and snuggled. I got her the yogurt parfait from Chickfila for breakfast because that's her favorite. And then we spent hours sitting on the couch while I played Call of Duty and she helped by telling me when she'd spot a bad guy for me to shoot.

That evening, we went to one of her favorite restaurants, and shopping for her some new clothes and shoes for her, and then out for a train ride on the kids' train at the mall and out for frozen yogurt. It was heaven.

Sunday was another lazy day. We went to church, had lunch at Red Lobster and she hung out while I detailed my car. She sang to me and we talked about anything and everything that was on her mind. Priceless.

My youngest had a great time with my parents too. So everyone won. But OMG, having just one kid was so easy!!! I'd forgotten how fabulous it is.

Edit: Yes, I said Call of Duty. I turned the sound down and she ate it up cause she's only used to seeing DH play video games. It was the first time I've gotten to touch the Playstation in like 3 years and I don't think it's excessive for me to finally get a few hours on a Saturday afternoon to play it, especially since DD thought it was hilarious to watch me struggle with it and we laughed hysterically together. Also, if you read my post in it's entirety, you will notice that I did many other things with her.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
garnet83
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
4 moms liked this

Actually I work my a** off every day and I'm a full time student. I also keep a spotless house and that was the first time I've so much as touched the playstation in 3 years because I've been doing everything EXCEPT sitting on my butt. I think I'm justified in taking a few hours on a Saturday to do something I never get to do anymore. Also, if you read the entire post, you will notice that I did many other things with her.

Quoting Anonymous:

"And then we spent hours sitting on the couch while I played Call of Duty and she helped by telling me when she'd spot a bad guy for me to shoot.", oh yeah, thats healthy mother daughter bonding time. Why not get off your butt and do something constructive with your kid. A five year old child shouldn't even be watching you play call of duty, especially not for hours. Why exactly do you need a break from your kids when it appears that you sit around everyday on your butt and only get up to do something for yourself?

mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kaiser10123:

The seatbelt chest part wasn't in the right place because of his monkey covers lol so he was clicked in but the right part to come over his chest was lower than it should've been

Quoting mich.el.le:

Quoting kaiser10123:

Hey I know this is off topic but you would be proud I've been doing the carseat thing you pointed out :) thanks!

Quoting mich.el.le:

Lol. I agree, especially if they're older.

Idr what I pointed out? lol :)

Ohh, ok. Sorry, I've pointed out a few things to people on here so I couldn't remember what we had talked about. Glad to help!! :)

ginger813
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I have 3 kids, so on the very rare occasion that I only have one with me... yes, it is SO much easier!!! 

garnet83
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Yep[. I turn the sound down so she doesn't hear what they're saying and she ate it up. And you'll notice that's just one of many things we did together. Love how you zeroed in on just the one thing.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sorry. Can't get past you playing Call Of Duty with a five year old. During you supposed "special time together", no less.
What wonderful memories for her.

garnet83
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 AM

yep. turn the sound down and she thinks it's great. she especially likes the helicopters. Once again, love how people zero in on just one part of the entire post.

Quoting SommelierMom:

You play Call of Duty in front of/with your 5 year old?!?

Jessy613
by Diamond Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I agree!

lovinglife0682
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Mine are 3 years apart and are the same way. Luckily one is in school.

Quoting garnet83:

Right and with 2 girls only 16 months apart and opposite personalities, they do play together and they are close. But their playing usually ends up in teaming up against DH and me or aggravating each other.  When they play nicely, it's a treat. When they don't, it's WW3.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

I keep seeing moms of one say that when you have two at least they play. Most of the time mine are at eachothers throats.

Quoting garnet83:

To a mom that has 2 kids, it's easier. Way easier. It's only one bath. One set of teeth to brush. One kid to feed. One kid to keep out of trouble. When they are together, they feed off each other and I constantly have to separate them when they get wild or start fighting or compete for my attention. Yes, they play together. But it usually ends in a fight that I have to break up.

Quoting ChristieV:

Saying that having one child is "easy" is going to piss some people off. I have only one - a six year old boy. He has ADHD and is a handful. I am the constant playmate, he doesn't sleep in, and it is exhausting. I love him, but when he has a friend over it is so much easier. Most of my friends with two kids say it is sometimes easier because they have eachother to play with, or at least interact with.

Since I don't have two, I won't begin to say it's easier. I'm sure it's not. But it's not fair to say having one is easy either. It's not.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
blueeyes2000
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM
3 moms liked this
Maybe we should just all be adults here and agree that being a mom no matter how many kids you have can be hard at times.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom-2-4boys
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Unless you have multiple kids I don't think you understand how pulled you feel sometimes. Being a mom of 4 (with a 10yr span in the middle) I love when I had time with either my older 2 or younger 2, trying to find activities to make everyone happy is not easy.

orngblsm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Actually, I found that it got easier with three.  Two was the worst, the sibling rivalry was unreal.  After I had my third one, I had more time on my hands because the older two quit fighting so much. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Just don't have a third!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)