Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Looking and Dressing Nice on a Walmart Budget? (and with the plus size challenge too)

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 138 Replies
1 mom liked this

Dudes... I am in some serious need of a makeover... DH told me I WILL be getting new clothes... But I am working with a good-will and walmart budget... I don't mind good-will finds, heck yeah, bring it on, if I can find anything in my size... but walmart clothes make me cry, and not because they are cheap and wear out super fast (even though they do) I am a size 20 and there are NO clothes that look nice on me in my size, which is primarily because Im a fatass but I see other women my size looking good/nice/put together, what is their secret. I am sick of looking like a frumpy dumpy moocow... I am working on loosing weight, but in the meantime, I really think some new clothes that look good on me would help me feel better about myself. I also have a  couple salon gift certificates to get the whole hair thing under control

I am thinking I will just get some basics then get accessories to spice things up... that way if I do lose weight, WHEN I lose weight (trying to stay positive here... ugh)... I don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe... but I dont even know what I need, other than a couple pairs of jeans, and some khakis.

Any advice for finding plus size clothes that arent muu-muus?... my price range is super low, but I know a lot of you fashionistas know the scoop on getting deals on clothes.

And hell no, there will be no pictures of me going up, LMAO... 

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
critter_boo
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Try avenue clearance I have gotten some great things there
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
critter_boo
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Also marshalls or tj maxx deb too
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM
You can never go wrong with a nice pair of jeans. A cardigan helps, and some fun necklaces are always plus! Spend the money on a pair of jeans and hit Walmart for some fun tops. Stay away from lace, and tht fake satin material.
scarletmeshell
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:48 AM

So walmart things don't fit?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM
No, you don't need khakis. Stick to a nice pair of black pants, & nice jeans.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Marshall and tj maxx is your better bet. Same prices, more options, better looking.
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I would shop clearance racks at department stores and thrift shops. Wal Mart's clothes don't fit (hardly) anyone well. They just aren't cut or structured well. Even at my thinnest I looked frumpy and fat in Wal Mart clothes. 

What is your body shape?

lnrmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I can wear WM clothes, in a size 20, and they fit appropriately. It's all about the cut and finding the one that fits you right.

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

Like you said, get the basics.  Jeans that FIT (think no muffin top, get them so they dont cut you in half), basic colored tops.  Dress them up with jewlery and scarves.  The key to looking good at any size is get what fits, not what size you hope to be or used to be.  You can get lots of cute cheap jewlery at wal mart too.   

hudson.maggie
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I wear a size 16 and I love Ross, tj maxx
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN