Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Tithing doesn't have to be only money

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
  • 76 Replies
2 moms liked this
Our pastor will tell you, if you don't have it, don't give it. We offer what we can but we also volunteer heavily. I teach 3&4 year old children's church Sunday mornings and my husband and I are in charge of big kid games on Wednesday nights. We also bring a covered dish for dinners and help with other aspects. Before we started going to church I thought it was only money too, but I was quickly proven wrong lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I disagree with your pastor completely and so would my pastors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Some religions require a 10% monetary tithe.  They even ask to see tax returns to prove the 10%.

Quoting ajc1106:

Our pastor will tell you, if you don't have it, don't give it. We offer what we can but we also volunteer heavily. I teach 3&4 year old children's church Sunday mornings and my husband and I are in charge of big kid games on Wednesday nights. We also bring a covered dish for dinners and help with other aspects. Before we started going to church I thought it was only money too, but I was quickly proven wrong lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Tithing is stupid.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
That's how my pastor is. He was very good about not making you feel like crap about money either.
kidlover2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I think it's a heart issue. There are very few verses that deal with the 10% Cain and Abel is a classic example of what I'm referring to.
SoInLove515
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I agree. I also believe tithing can be done outside the church. Like when you dobate, or volunteer.
jillbailey26
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Technically speaking, it's all an offering.  Tithing is what was law in the OT.  In the NT it doesn't command or even recommend that a Christian (if we're talking Christian here) must submit to a legalistic tithing system.

Either way I get what you're saying.  I do still feel it's good to offer money as well as time, especially if it's your home church.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

SoInLove515
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Donate

Quoting SoInLove515:

I agree. I also believe tithing can be done outside the church. Like when you dobate, or volunteer.

mary841108
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

some churches dont care if you dont have it though. I am atheist but I have to applaud your pastor for allowing families to put their needs above other things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this
I completely agree with the OPs pastor. You really think god wants your family to do with out? I don't think so. And really god isn't getting the money. Ever wonder why pastors of big churches can afford half million dollar homes, nice fancy cars? The church goers pay for it.

Quoting Anonymous:

I disagree with your pastor completely and so would my pastors.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)