Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How should I respond to this email

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
  • 34 Replies
It is almost 10am and I have a very disturbing email concerning a dog I recently adopted out. I just want to know how I should respond.
The Email

Subject: You stole my dog and I want it back

My name is _______.I went on vacation in October and when I came back my Pittbull was gone. I saw her walking with some guy and he said he got her from you. I want my dog back or I will have to get a lawyer. Where do you get off stealing dogs and then reselling it. My dog is a blue nose with up ears and is grey and white. Her name is Princess not Sophie.

This is how I want to reply
Good Morning _________.
I am sorry for the loss of your dog but I did not steal her. Sophie was rescued running loose on my property. I put up fliers, called vets and her scanned for a microchip in order to find you but you never came forward. According to TX state law she was owned by The Animal House Rescue as of 11/21/12 and was adopted on 1/27/13 to her current owner (the man you saw I suppose). I am truly sorry but there is nothing I, or the US court system can do. (Part about contact to the owner has been removed)

Sincerly
Alicia _______

Sorry I didn't add enough. She emailed the email address that I use specifically for my rescue. I am going to assume the owner was the one to give up the email when he told her where he got the dog from. Or he gave her my site and she found the email from there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't even respond at all. They are not going to get an attorney or file a court case at all. They are just trying to bully you into getting the dog back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM
That sounds fine to me. Although I would take out the part about seeing if you can get the dog back, but thats just me....
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Aww that's really sad : ( my dog ran away and some guy up the street took her in and wouldn't give her back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

That's crazy. I wouldn't even know how to respond but your response sounds good to me given all the info you gave is true and correct.

Sounds like another irresponsible pet owner that neglects their dogs then gets mad when other try to intervene and protect and care for the pet. Such a shame.

Christy644
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM

That sounds appropriate. It actually sounds better than what I would respond with. 

graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Sounds very appropriate to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I wouldn't respond at all.
ColleenF30
by Lube Girl on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Looks like a good response.

SterlingHeart
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I would simply refer her to the Animal Rescue --- don't get involved at all on a personal level - how the hell did they get your email?

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 11:23 AM
3 moms liked this
How did this person get your email? I wouldn't respond at all. I would forward the message to The Animal House Rescue and let them deal with it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)