Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am i doing this right? cio method.

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
  • 206 Replies
1 mom liked this
First anyone who is gonna bash me for letting my dd CIO don't even bother posting, I used to agree with you until I tried it. It's freaking fantastic lol.

Anyway. I've been letting dd CIO for about a month now. I love it, after the first week its great! I feed her when she's tired and put her down go in every 3-5 minutes until she is asleep. She never cries more than 10 minutes and is sleeping better than ever!!

However I am wondering if I'm doing it wrong, I'm not consistent with it. Most naps I do it but sometimes before bed I just want that extra cuddle time with her so ill rock her to sleep and when she wakes up in the middle of the night I pick her up change and feed her and hold her until she's asleep.

Dd is 7 months old.

Edit: Please stop saying this is cruel. It's not, I go in and comfort her every few minutes, I tend to every need she could possibly have. What she wants is for me or dh to rock her to sleep for an hour everytime she needs a nap. I will not turn my child into a brat, she needs to learn she can do it by herself like a big girl and she can't always have everything she wants. If your parenting opinions differ from mine, that is perfectly fine do what you think is best but like I said above, keep rude comments to yourself. Thank you.

Edit: Well thanks to the moms who actually answered my questions. I got what I needed, I'm done coming back to this post now lol. At first it was comical but now some of you people are just annoying me. You have no idea what is good for my child, only I know that. Some of you women are just completely out of line trying to tell me what's best for my baby. Just fyi you can preach until your blue in the face about how you think I'm doing harm to my dd, bottom line is YOUR WRONG. Last time I checked you women weren't by my side when I gave birth nor do you know ANYTHING about my daughter, her day to day life, or what's best for her.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:42 PM
17 moms liked this

Babies cry because they need something and lack the communication skills to tell you what they need.  CIO is for lazy parents, period.  If you don't want to deal with a crying baby, don't have kids.

Pooobaihr
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Holding her every so often is fine, but don't do it all the time because then you defeat the purpose.

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The biggest thing is consistency.  Until you can reach that point any method you use will be lost!

Start with one time of going to bed-nap or night.  Once that is mastered move on to the other.  You can still have cuddle time which can be worked into the schedule.

It took our son literally 2 nights of CIO at 13 moths to "get it"  Prior to that I was against it too!

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM
6 moms liked this
Did you read the post?

She is not just simply ignoring her child. She is taking care of all her needs and then making the LO self soothe in order to fall asleep.

To me it sounds like she is trying to make sure that the LO doesn't get into bad habbits like taking a bottle to fall asleep or constantly being rocked to sleep.

Quoting Anonymous:

Babies cry because they need something and lack the communication skills to tell you what they need.  CIO is for lazy parents, period.  If you don't want to deal with a crying baby, don't have kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Try to be consistent as possible! That's really all the advice I can give.

CIO it not for "Lazy parents", because letting your children cry isn't easy! It's a lot easier to love and cuddle a baby than to listen to one cry, but you know what? My neice and her parents live with us, and they give her whatever she wants and do whatever she wants when she whines or cries and they never let her cry it out, and she is a little terror. She is almost 2 1/2 and still drinks out of a bottle, and she drinks milk all night long.

Ms.Pteranodon
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Maybe when you want the extra cuddle time you can rock her or hold her until she is ALMOST asleep and then lay her down?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Mixed messages! Either do it or don't otherwise she will cry longer and harder.
Hayleysmom88
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this
Oh wow really lol. Children learn to manipulate parents at a very young age and yes they do and will cry for no reason. A toddler in a.toy store will cry for a toy...sure he's crying for a reason but its not a reason you should give in to. Thanks for your response though went in my one ear and oh there it goes out the other lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

5PointedHuman
by Silver Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:50 PM
6 moms liked this

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fussy-baby/science-says-excessive-crying-could-be-harmful

epoh
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Eeeeeeeeee. *walks out*
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)