Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

OK, I don't care how much you love your pwecious beebeez, this s*** takes it too far.

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 145 Replies
Attention Parents. Do not do this. Ever.

#3. Parents Are Babying Their Kids Through College, Job Interviews

There is apparently a new wave of parents who see no reason why their practice of hovering over their offspring should end when they move away to college. One parent, despite having a full-time job, schedules every hour of her college-age sons' lives, in addition to monitoring their personal email accounts and bank account balances. She obtains copies of every syllabus and emails them their homework assignments for every class, which they never miss because she gives them wake-up calls every morning. So we suppose it would be kind of like having a fancy personal assistant, only one that guarantees you will never have sex.

And it's unfair to write this off as the obsession of one overzealous parent -- hiring managers say they're running into applicants whose parents conducted the job search, as well as wrote and submitted the resume on their kid's behalf. Some of them then sit in on the interview itself and will actually attempt to negotiate salary and benefits on behalf of their children. For example, an HR manager received a call from the mother of an intern they had hired, informing her that her son deserved to be paid more because he was so talented. Not talented enough to negotiate his own salary, though, apparently.

The situation has gotten so bad that some companies now expect and make provisions for parental meddling (they find themselves having to recruit the parents of prospective employees as much as the employees themselves). A few at least draw the line at not allowing parents to sit in on job interviews, and presumably you find similar restrictions at, say, strip clubs.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_20242_6-people-who-took-overprotective-parenting-way-too-far_p2.html#ixzz2KcNk2fQu
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Would you ever go on one of your child's job interviews WITH him or her?
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gabriella (: on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM
2 moms liked this
Hell no. That's just sad. My son needs to be independent,I'm not going to be around forever

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
This isn't the first article that I've seen talk about this shit.

If you baby your kid like that how and when will they grow up? What happens when you die and they have become so self reliant on you that they can't function in the real world?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:53 AM
I can't believe how many people do. Apparently this is a thing now. If my kid ever asks me to go on a job interview with him ... I can't even complete that thought. I can't imagine having a grown child who still needs that much parental interference. The graph on the main article says like 4% of parents do this now. WTF?

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Hell no. That's just sad. My son needs to be independent,I'm not going to be around forever

Quoting AnnieMcD:

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM
2 moms liked this
I know. I mean my first boyfriends mother still cleaned his room for him and he was 19. I thought THAT was ridiculous. I'll tell you what, if I were dating someone and found out their parents were like this, I would cut and RUN. For fear that his mother would probably in the room on the wedding night reading out of the Kama Sutra and helping Jr get his legs in the right position.

Quoting Roxygurl:

If you baby your kid like that how and when will they grow up? What happens when you die and they have become so self reliant on you that they can't function in the real world?
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont care what you say, I help my son manage his money - he want's me to , so I do it.

Everything else, i wouldn't dream of doing.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My mother still goes over to my brothers apartment and cleans it and washes his clothes....my brother will be 27 in July.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

I know. I mean my first boyfriends mother still cleaned his room for him and he was 19. I thought THAT was ridiculous. I'll tell you what, if I were dating someone and found out their parents were like this, I would cut and RUN. For fear that his mother would probably in the room on the wedding night reading out of the Kama Sutra and helping Jr get his legs in the right position.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM
Helping him is one thing, especially since I'm pretty sure you help him by teaching him how to manage it when you're not around. But taking over finances completely, filling out job applications, and going on interviews with the kids? That's just fucking insane.

Quoting FooLynRoo:

I dont care what you say, I help my son manage his money - he want's me to , so I do it.

Everything else, i wouldn't dream of doing.

AnnieMcD
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Jesus. Can she adopt me? I want a free housekeeper...

Quoting Roxygurl:

My mother still goes over to my brothers apartment and cleans it and washes his clothes....my brother will be 27 in July.

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM
She has always babied him. She would sit in class with him in middle school because he was 'bullied'

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Jesus. Can she adopt me? I want a free housekeeper...

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting AnnieMcD:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN