Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's YOUR opinion? Take this job and shove it: The Pope is QUITTING? POLL

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
  • 129 Replies

Poll

Question: Why is he really quitting?

Options:

To retire and move to Florida

To chase the nuns at that convent he's moving into

The butler did it

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you

He's a sick old man

He has dementia

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 21

View Results

Like it's a MacDonald's job? Traditionally, a Pope is willing to sacrifice his health for the unity of the Church. It proves a certain sanctity of the Office. Now I'm not saying he was a likable guy and his successor is probably going to be a lot better at representing the Church. But still, it's surprising that he would just quit.

Don't forget to bump after voting if you have no reply.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM

BUMP!

poshkat
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:35 PM

from what i understand many people were upset that he was chosen as the pope. maybe this is a good thing? DH seemed pretty happy about it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:39 PM
If his health is failing him, just like any other job handicaps you from performing it. Personally I don't care if he resigned, not being Catholic, but as a Christian I will pray for him.
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I agree it could be good. But then there's the problem of possible conflicting policies with the new Pope. If this guy opens his mouth to contradict the new Pope, the unity of the Church is at stake. The fact that he takes the Office so lightly that he just quits out of the blue, putting his health and comfort over the Church is very disconcerting.

Quoting poshkat:

from what i understand many people were upset that he was chosen as the pope. maybe this is a good thing? DH seemed pretty happy about it. 

poshkat
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Sanctimommy:

I never thought about that. Seems to me the previous pope was very beloved and seemed more liked by the church as well. When they were choosing this guy it seemed to be very controversial and people seemed very upset by the name he chose. I don't really keep up with it , i'm jewish (non practising) but dh, who is a non practising catholic is keeping up with it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

That's just what I said to dh....at least he gave notice lol.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

BUMP!

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM

He's not really a, "People's Pope", in my opinion, so I am not surprised by his decision.

CorpCityGrl
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:18 PM
7 moms liked this

As I see it, I don't think by resigning he is taking his job lightly.  If anything, I think he is being serious about it.  Based on what he's said, it seems like he DOES have health problems and it very well could be something like dementia or even Alzheimer's - both of which are detrimental to his ruling.  I think it takes a big person to admit that they can no longer do the job and step aside and that's what he's doing.  He's doing it not just for himself, but for the best interest of the church. 

In addition, it was always my understanding that the current pope is really almost like a transitional pope.  The Catholic church recognizes that it needs new leadership and younger people and new ideas and I think this pope is the transition from Pope John Paul to maybe a younger, more forward-thinking Pope.

lovemyhoney19
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:19 PM
I was surprised but hey, we are all allowed to quit our jobs for whatever reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN