Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Monster High?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Does anybody's daughters like this? It is ALL my DD can talk about. She loves it! I think it must have been from commercials and stuff in stores because as far as I know she had never watched it. DH recorded a couple episodes of it for her and she really really liked it and wants only monster high stuff for her birthday. I think it's a little old for her (she will be 4 on the 27th). Doesn't anybody's DD who is this young like this? Or how old is your DD that watches it?

I will add that while I think 3 year olds should be watching playhouse Disney type shows she has grown out of that mostly. We don't watch much tv but she does like Umi Zoomi and Sofia the first (her absolute favorite). But otherwise she just likes Disney princess movies.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Replies (31-40):
jujubear1
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Wow! Will you be my friend and make this for dd's birthday this year?? Lol That is awesome and dd would LOVE it.

Quoting acaisha:

mine don't because I have boys but my friends kids are addicted... I made this for her daughter last year.

Emeraldmama7
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:20 PM

Yep.  I have 7 kids total and I was the kind of mom that wouldn't allow my first borns to watch spongebob or Bratz.  When I split with my ex my girls were still little and he allowed them to watch these shows.  They came home with the movies even.  I was livid.  But then I realized that I can't be there every waking second of my children's day.  I used it as a tool on how their outfits aren't appropriate for girls their age (or even the Bratz "age"!).  My oldest girls have never begged me to wear inappropriate clothes, they aren't overly sexual (actually quite the opposite.  They don't even have crushes on the popular boys/bands on tv like their friends do), and they know they won't be wearing make-up for a long time and are ok with it.  (Even though some of their classmates are already wearing it!)

I think it comes down to this:  I raised my girls to enjoy dress-up and imagination.  I have long talks with them on various subjects often.  I've instilled values and morals in my children.  The don't look up to the Bratz or Monster High girls.  They have fun playing with the dolls and using their imaginations. 

So, people can judge me base on what I let my kids watch....but I've been there and done that 7 times over and my kids are growing up to be just fine.  Everybody knows my family and everyone always has such wonderful things to say about my kids.  Who can argue with that?!?  =D

Quoting Anonymous:

I watched it and I didn't think so either. I don't think it's really aimed for 3-4 year olds but I see it no different then scooby doo .....the outfits are tight/short but honestly what isn't these days! I choose not to shelter my kids from it but rather let them see all different types of dress and learn that all people dress differently. I won't be crazy uptight but my kids will dress appropriately.....just no tube tops and mini skirts at 12!

Quoting Emeraldmama7:

All of my girls love the dolls and the show.  My dd's are 11, 10, 9, & 4. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with a 4 yr old watching or playing with the MH dolls. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My youngest dd (8) loves the show and has the school and dolls.

eykelley
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:21 PM
I don't mind her learning about the style... But I've seen first hand where parents le their kids think that's ok and I see 10 year olds dressing like that. :( makes me sad.
Just don't want her thinking its ok at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Understandable. I have just chosen that rather then trying to shelter them from these types of style (which lets face it....is everywhere!) that they can be exposed to it and learn that while there are many many types of styles there is a certain way they will dress that we find is appropriate. They have done very well so far learning that there is a ton of different ways people live and that our family has its own way regardless of what everyone else does.

Quoting eykelley:

I can see where that is true. However, I still dislike the way they dress. Idk. I've never watched the shows. So maybe they have good points, but I don't like the way they dress and I don't like the idea of my dd thinking that dressing like that is ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol ok then! And just because a doll is wearing those clothes doesn't mean my dd will! I think Barbie is worse actually....she's a "regular person". These are monsters and I'm pretty sure my dd won't try to be a vampire or werewolf either....

Quoting eykelley:

Nope. And it'll be over my dead and decaying body that my dd will ever have those dolls! They look like cheap hookers IMO! Barbie is one thing, but the make up, the 5 inch heels, the insanely short skirts and shirts... Not happening. I don't came I my teenage daughter wears a mini skirt and push up bra... But my 10 year old will not!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

The first book for "young adults" came out in late  2010 There are currently four in the seris and I think there is a fifth one coming out this spring. 

I know Mattel has been behind it all, but the books really are so much better in town tone and presentation than the cartoons.  

Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't even know there were books. Haha. But I did watch an episode with my dd and it was all about everybody getting along regardless of who you are and what you look like.

Quoting Roo1234:

mY daughter likes the books (but she is 12) and collects the dolls for that reason.  She doesn't really care for the cartoons.  She feels that while they are "fine" they aren't really reflective about the stories from the book series which talks about accepting others and yourself.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
Def agree. I think we have the same goal just doing it in different ways. :-) my children will never been seen looking trashy while I have a say in it! I cringe when I see 10 year olds looking like prostitutes (or what's the term....prostitots?)

Quoting eykelley:

I don't mind her learning about the style... But I've seen first hand where parents le their kids think that's ok and I see 10 year olds dressing like that. :( makes me sad.

Just don't want her thinking its ok at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Understandable. I have just chosen that rather then trying to shelter them from these types of style (which lets face it....is everywhere!) that they can be exposed to it and learn that while there are many many types of styles there is a certain way they will dress that we find is appropriate. They have done very well so far learning that there is a ton of different ways people live and that our family has its own way regardless of what everyone else does.

Quoting eykelley:

I can see where that is true. However, I still dislike the way they dress. Idk. I've never watched the shows. So maybe they have good points, but I don't like the way they dress and I don't like the idea of my dd thinking that dressing like that is ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lol ok then! And just because a doll is wearing those clothes doesn't mean my dd will! I think Barbie is worse actually....she's a "regular person". These are monsters and I'm pretty sure my dd won't try to be a vampire or werewolf either....

Quoting eykelley:

Nope. And it'll be over my dead and decaying body that my dd will ever have those dolls! They look like cheap hookers IMO! Barbie is one thing, but the make up, the 5 inch heels, the insanely short skirts and shirts... Not happening. I don't came I my teenage daughter wears a mini skirt and push up bra... But my 10 year old will not!

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM

DD 5 1/2 loves it. has the dolls, the high school, make-up etc

TarantulaTress
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:24 PM
In my opinion, they're no better than Bratz dolls. But, to a 4-8 year old girl, they're just 'cool' looking dolls, so I see no problem with little girls playing with them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChrissyReznor
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM
I dont know if my daughter likes it,I don't let her watch that show or have the dolls. Too slutty for my taste.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Emeraldmama7
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 4:34 PM

BTW, my 11 yr old had a MH birthday party this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)