Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It's so sad to see kids who are so fat!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I was out today and saw a fat woman and the three kids who were with her were just so fat. The 12 year old looking boy looked like he was pushing 200, The 7 or 8 year old girl looked like she was about 100. She didn't even look like she could run.  There was another little girl that was huge too. It's just so sad to see kids that big! And I know people will try to say oh maybe its health problems or osmething but no. They were eating pizza. This is the worlds problem... instead of saying hey stop feeding your kid crap make them eat healthy we coddle the fat kids and they stay fat. I care about my daughter being healthy. Of course I let her have junk and fun stuff but I always make her eat healthy and exercise and she plays sports. How could people let their kids get so fat? They don't start out that way and the parents control what they eat.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:45 PM
6 moms liked this

It is sad, but who are any of us to judge? I grew up being teased for being 20 lbs. overweight. My daughter was 20 lbs. overweight and was bullied. Now that she lost the weight, people treat her nice. I think that's absolute crap. You are who you are, fat or thin. I also feel bad for heavy kids, but it is their parents responsibility to teach them how to eat better, exercise, etc, and it is not our place to judge them. In my opinion, if anyone makes fun of or judges a child or an adult for being overweight, they obviously have no manners or class!!!

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know... I don't just LOOK for people to judge... but some times I see a really young kid that's just HUGE, like a 100+lb 5 year old and I can't help but notice them and feel sad for them. How is that fair to the kid? 

Quoting wineisfine:

Hmmm you notice a lot don't ya, because honestly I never pay that much attention.

LovelyMommy24
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Agree.
NiCo86
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
5 moms liked this

I see childhood obesity as a neglectful offense. I wish that OCS/CPS could step in and do something about these types of situations. It is not fair to start a child's life with such an issue as obesity.

mstricey
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
4 moms liked this
I don't think that society coddles fat people at all. I do think that everyone should practice acceptance though. No I don't.mean .accept childhood obesity but stop being judgemental and actually do something about the problem.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:47 PM
9 moms liked this
I 100% agree. Less than 7% of overweight people are fat for "health" reasons. However, EVERY fat person out there has some fucking excuse.

There is NO reason that a child should be obese. NONE! Thyroid problem, medication and a healthy lifestyle will keep it under control. Steroids because of asthma? Maybe if your kid got off the couch and exercised his asthma would go away. They set their kids up for a lifetime of sickness and ridicule and them get all butt hurt when someone calls their kid fat.

Most people are fat because they are lazy and make poor food choices. It's the fucking truth. I don't care who says otherwise.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I agree! The people who bash you are more than likely fat and/or have fat kids so they're insulted by your honesty. I see it grocery shopping all the time. (yes I look...so what?) The other day this woman had 3 super obese kids, she was atleast 500 herself and she had a cart stocked to the top with frozen crap. One bag with a few apples. it makes me sad. Lazy parents. Then parents wonder why their kid is teased... My 12 year old dd loves her boxing class (which actually was pretty cheap and kicks her butt) and working out at the gym with me. She does get treats, but she knows that she needs healthy food 95% of the time in order to feed her body for how hard she trains.
..Christina..
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Sure their was and sure ya did..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this

I posted something like this the other day and got bashed for it, but you are right.  I go from school to school(elementary) and all I see are fat kids.  Not just "chunky" but HUGE.  It is horrifying to me as my generation did not grow up with such obesity.  It is the parents fault when your 6 yr old is pushing 100lbs.  When kids are that obese they never lose it and by high school they are still huge.  My neice was 45 lbs at 2 and she never lost the weight.  She is now a High School senior, weighs over 250 and never had any kind of a social life.  It is truly a sad thing to see.  Those that bash you condone being fat.  I made sure my dd did not grow up fat by being an educated mom who limited junk and pushed activity.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I have always said that if my kids ended up overweight I would consider myself a failure as a parent. I still stand by that.

I just feel bad when I see kids that are overweight. I know it happens, I know that if the kid is young it is the parents' fault, but it's the kids that will suffer. They will be the ones with health issues and they will be the ones mocked at school.

There are absolutely medical reasons that a child would be overweight, but providing your kids with unhealthy food and no physical activity is NOT a medical problem. As mentioned by one of the other posters, it is also a socioeconomic problem. Poorer people and minorities tend to be heavier. That is not me bashing any race or economic background, it's a fact. There are definitely rich white fat kids too, but you don't see it nearly as much as you do in other races and financial backgrounds.

We live in a very upscale area in NYS. It is predominantly white. My younger son goes to a private nursery school. He has 16 kids in his class. Not one is overweight or even slightly chubby. My older son is in kindergarten. He has 20 kids in his class. Not one of them is overweight either. His school has 600+ kids and I can count on one hand how many of them are overweight and of those kids, none are morbidly obese.

I am no expert, but just looking at that small sampling of kids, at least in our area, this is a socioeconomic issue. It's really unfortunate regardless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)