Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

cs for college children s/o

Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
Should a non-custodial parent have to pay CS for their children while they are attending college? What if they are 24,25 and still in school? Why or why not?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Not child support, but I think there should be tuition help if the child's financial aid is being judged by the parents' income.

by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:24 PM
My personal belief is no, I'd the parent is able to financially and can they should bit I don't believe it should be forced. If the family was intact it wouldn't be forced.
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

 Well I have an almot 20 year old. She is in school but lives with me. SHe cannot find a job that can support herself outside the home so I as her mother am paying for her to live, driving her around because she doesn't have a car, etc. Why the hell shouldn't her father have to help out? He doesn't and he doesnt' even pay for the 2 sons that we have together.

I was speaking to some people about this the other noght. WHy is it that men can say crap like "So glad I only have 2 more months of being raped for child support..." but mom still has to take care of that child? Seriously? If my ex and I were still married he'd still be taking care of her just as I am. So because I decided to get out of a horible marriage that I get punished by having to support kids on my own because I choose to not put them out on the streets to fend for themselves?

by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:26 PM
I believe in Mississippi as long as the child is in school and under 21 they can still receive child support.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I say no. If the custodial parent is not required to help support and pay for tuition when the child is in college, than I don't believe the non-custodial parent should have to either. I do think parents should help pay for their children's educations if they can afford it, but it should not be a requirement.

by Christina on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
Yes. My friends father had to pay until she graduated university plus some of her tuiton..why? Because thats what he would be doing if her parents didnt divorce which is the reason for child support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I don't think so.  I have no intention (well, mostly ability) to pay for my kids college, why on earth should other parents be forced to do so.  Supporting minor children is a given but once they are able to work and make life decisions for themselves the manditory support should end.

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Well, Im 22 and my sister is 19 and my dad will be paying child support to my mom until he dies. He owes her  over 130k+, She gets between 240-310$ a month.

by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

24-25 does seem a tad old, but this varies by state.  The idea is that the child should not suffer and should have the same opportunities and lifestyle he or she would have enjoyed had the parents stayed together.  In some states, this only goes to 18.  In others, it lasts through college.  I don't offhand know of any that provide payment for schooling once the child is 25, but it's possible a state could provide for some sort of obligation once the child is that old, especially if it were expected the child would enter some particular profession that required that much education.  And of course, in the course of settling the case, the parties could agree to split costs of graduate school or school that lasts that long.  

But, barring that, once the child has had 4 years of college, or an opportunity to complete a bachelor's degree, my personal opinion is that once a child is that old, there should be no expectation or obligation for a parent to contribute.  Of course, if a parent wants to contribute and feels that this would help the child, that would be wonderful.  I think, as far as a forced contribution, 4 years of college is sufficient.  Anything on top of that is bonus.  (As it would be if the parents were still together.)

by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:48 PM

Yes, it's the law here.  I could go after my son's father to help out with his university tuition.  But all I would be doing is lining the pockets of the lawyer.  As long as he is paying CS for the two kids I had with them until they are 25 years of age, then I will settle for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)