Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

HELP!

Posted by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am looking for advice on how to help my son with his colors. 

He is 5, almost 6, in Kindergarten. To my knowledge, no one else in my family or his fathers is colorblind.

He has had problems with his colors for as long as I can remember. Before preschool I had him screened for colorblindness. He passed. In preschool, his teacher was convinced he was colorblind. I had him screened again before Kindergarten, he passed. His teacher now is convinced he is partially color blind. He does great in everything else, overall a very smart child, except when it comes to colors.

Yellow is white, white is yellow, orange is yellow, yellow is orange, darker blues are black, green is sometimes blue or purple, he never gets other colors, such as purple, pink, gret ect right. He does typically get regular blues and reds right.

I work with him a lot on them. We have since before preschool. We do flashcards, play candyland, point at stuff around the house, he has handheld games that deal with colors and some other stuff. Hell get them right when were at home working on them most the time, but other than than, he gets them wrong most the time. Ive been wondering if, at home, he doesnt get them wrong because he has memorized most of the questions and objects. Im not sure what else I can do to help him. 

Have any other mothers had this problem? Does anyone have any advice on what else I could do to help him? 

military quote Pictures, Images and Photos

"Sometimes freedom makes it hard to live, when it takes things from you that you don't want to give"

by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Nunyabusiness
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Bump

kayla4507
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM

thank you!

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

Bump

"Sometimes freedom makes it hard to live, when it takes things from you that you don't want to give"

kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Try playing UNO with him. Make it a contest. Winner gets a cookie.

That way he has an incentive to get it right. And there are several colors/cards of each color.

If he simply cannot do it after say 3 tries to play through a game, I would try to talk it out with him. See if he can put in his words why he can't do it. Maybe "they all look the same to me" or "I just get confused" would shed some light as to if he has a real problem.

I am thinking that perhaps it is shade blindness.

My nephew was 6 when he learned his colors. But that was due to neglect.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

BUMP

kidlover2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Games. I also used m&m's. My dd couldn't care less about colors until I made it fun and she could have chocolate when she got the right answer.
kayla4507
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Quoting kappalopokis:

That way he has an incentive to get it right. And there are several colors/cards of each color.

If he simply cannot do it after say 3 tries to play through a game, I would try to talk it out with him. See if he can put in his words why he can't do it. Maybe "they all look the same to me" or "I just get confused" would shed some light as to if he has a real problem.

I play uno with him often. I actually just finished our last game. Sometimes he does better than others. Tonight was a bad night. He couldnt even tell me which one was red, which he usually always gets right. I will have to try the winner gets something. 

Ive tried to ask him, and he just says he doesnt know. I tried asking different ways, and its always just I dont know, I just dont know which colors are which. 

kayla4507
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Quoting kidlover2:

Games. I also used m&m's. My dd couldn't care less about colors until I made it fun and she could have chocolate when she got the right answer.

ooo i never thought of m&ms! 

TinaNicu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Preschool prep has some great videos that make learning easy and fun. They have one on colors

kappalopokis
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Weird. Maybe he is having trouble commuting it to memory. Maybe you need to create a connection in his brain. Like, a trigger that will say off the synapses to tell him which color is which?

Start with the primary colors RED, BLUE and YELLOW as well as BLACK and WHITE. Then try to add green, orange, purple, the ones that are shade variants of the others.

Say for example, "which one is blue, like B for blue?" This will create a connection to something else in his brain. Like a chain. Also, frequently give cues and clues "which one is BLUE like the ocean and sky and etc.?" Make sure he understands that all colors have shades, light blue and dark blue are both blue.

With my nephew it was a matter of making it something he *could* do and not something he could not do. He was ashamed if not knowing his colors, how to count, what letter cane first in his name, etc. So asking him what color it was made him feel dumb creating a block making it harder for him to learn. But he was very neglected as a younger child.

We started with baby steps. "Which is bigger? Red or yellow?" He could do big/small so, he tried to do colors. Your son, perhaps, can do letters so maybe connecting B with Blue and G with Green would help him be more interested in learning it.

He may be having trouble, simply because he knows it shouldn't be that hard for him.

Quoting kayla4507:

Quoting kappalopokis:

I play uno with him often. I actually just finished our last game. Sometimes he does better than others. Tonight was a bad night. He couldnt even tell me which one was red, which he usually always gets right. I will have to try the winner gets something. 

Ive tried to ask him, and he just says he doesnt know. I tried asking different ways, and its always just I dont know, I just dont know which colors are which. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)