Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Has anyone else grown their hair out to donate it to locks of love? I want to grow my hair out to donate it next year but I don't know a lot about how long it needs to be or any other details. Does anyone have any info on it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Replies (21-29):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM

just a side note "80% of hair donated is thrown straight into the trash or SOLD, deemed “unusable for the wigs”, yet the hair is sold to wig companies who then turn them into WIGS."

LilliesValley
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Most salons will cut and take care of the donation for you but if not check out their website.

I did this several years ago after dd was born, the long hair was to hard to maintain.
momof2891
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I'm glad I asked! I will googling Wigs for kids and the program through Pantene. My hair is just past my shoulders so I'm guessing by this time next year it should be long enough. I would want to get it cut to a little longer than my chin.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM
They recieve enough hair to make 10,000+ wigs yearly. They donate 1000 wigs yearly. The rest are sold for profit..

Quoting Blueliner:

What?! I thought it was used to make free wigs! I'm so glad I saw these posts before I donate again! I'm going to in the next month!

momof2891
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM
And they haven't gotten caught?? That's horrible!!

Quoting Anonymous:

They recieve enough hair to make 10,000+ wigs yearly. They donate 1000 wigs yearly. The rest are sold for profit..

Quoting Blueliner:

What?! I thought it was used to make free wigs! I'm so glad I saw these posts before I donate again! I'm going to in the next month!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:19 PM
They have been, but they say it is to help offset manufacturing cost. Which I can kind of see, but 90% of donations being used for costs seems high. Also, their board of directors is extremely over paid, which is where most of that money goes, IMO

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Blueliner:

momof2891
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:54 PM
That's horrible. One of my nieces has cancer so that is where I got the idea about donating my hair. Now I am going to rethink which company I donate to.

Quoting Anonymous:

They have been, but they say it is to help offset manufacturing cost. Which I can kind of see, but 90% of donations being used for costs seems high. Also, their board of directors is extremely over paid, which is where most of that money goes, IMO

Quoting momof2891:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Blueliner:

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM

but dont forget to add that of those 1000 wigs made, they will ONLY dontate to those children with PERMENANT hair loss, not those temporary hair loss

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Blueliner:

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM

oh and also, i needed to add, which i forgot to add in before, they charge parents for wigs according to their income 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN