Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Autistic? ETA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

Our daughter had her two year check up today and we stated that we have some concerns about her speech. Her doctor agreed that she's behind, and I said, "You don't suspect autism or anything, do you?" He said, "Are you?" I said, "Am I what, autistic?" He nodded.

Is it just me or is that totally inappropriate? I'm considering finding a new doctor.

ETA: He has been our doctor for six years and we have two other children who had delayed speech. He knows I'm not autistic. He knows this because it was brought up when our first child had delayed speech. It's in the charts, for both DH and me.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LectioDivina
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM

No, He's gotta ask... Maybe he pegged you for Aspergers

mariesmama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:25 PM

honest question sometimes its genetic my hubby has aspergers so when our 3 yr old wasnt talking by 2 she got early intervention it didnt really help but they put her in preschool with speech therapy and iep and thats helping alot

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM

We've had this doctor for six years, and have had two other children with delayed speech development. He knows I'm not autistic.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Would you have been upset if he asked if you were diabetic?

He may have just been looking at family history or he could have been asking if you suspect autism.

grouchymama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

We've had this doctor for six years, and have had two other children with delayed speech development. He knows I'm not autistic.

How does he know? Lots of people with autism are successful productive adults. DH is a pediatrician and he insists he has aspergers.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

my hubby has aspergers and cannot keep jobs

Quoting grouchymama:

Quoting Anonymous:

How does he know? Lots of people with autism are successful productive adults. DH is a pediatrician and he insists he has aspergers.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Updated. He asked us before, when our first child was having speech trouble. It's in the charts. His general demeanor has changed as well, this is kind of the straw that broke the camel's back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:38 PM
I know someone that was diagnosed as an adult. It isn't uncommon for parents to get diagnosed around the same time as their children. Maybe he noticed something with you that you didn't. He might have figured that you have already been diagnosed.

Did he refer you to Early Intervention at least?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MADMomma1975a
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I think he was asking are you suspecting autism; not are you autistic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)