Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teenagers/custody

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
Should a teenager's choice of primary residence be the final say when it comes to court? Why or why not?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM

In some states the Judges will consider the teenagers choice in deciding where the teen will reside if the teen has a good reason.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends. If they are picking one parent over the other because one parent lets them "run wild" I don't think it should be the final say. However I do think there opinion she be taken Into high Regard
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

No. My child would love to live with dad but dad is not a good influence. Dad would teach them how to party and be a thug.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Not the final decision because they are not mature enough for that.  They should be allowed to have a say and talk to the judge about why they want custody to change or not to change.

The judge talked to SS's when custody changed.  What they said left no doubt in the judge's mind that they needed to live with DH.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:30 PM
No, I don't think so. I do think what they want should be carefully considered though.
aCafemomma
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I would have asked to be put in what ever parents home that did not have my brother. I hate that man. with my mom he was always hitting and hurting me for no reason and if i defended myself i was at fault he NEVER was held responisble.

he's marryed now and she keeps him in line unfortanally she's a bitch who hates everyone and now the only kid my mom gets to have anything to do with is me

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:35 PM
I'm pretty sure where I live the child gets to decide as long as there us no immediate danger.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine2plus2
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The age to decide here is age 11. Theu have input on the judge of who they want to live with!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:37 PM
How would they tell? Are judges pretty good at telling if they're being manipulated?

Quoting Anonymous:

Depends. If they are picking one parent over the other because one parent lets them "run wild" I don't think it should be the final say. However I do think there opinion she be taken Into high Regard

xmkj2011
by Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I think in some cases it should be. You should always want whats best for you child, however if your child is demanding that they be placed with someone for specific reasons and you or the other parent fail to realize thats what is really best rather than just wanting custody for your own reasons, then you could possibly be doing more harm than good! But at the same time, your child may want to stay with you/other parent because they get to do whatever, whenever, and however they want, in that case you should bring that up in court and demand full custody over your child!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)