Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

14 year-old charged with killing 7 month-old sister

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

14 year-old charged with killing 7 month-old sister in Silver Spring

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/21092899/14-year-old-charged-with-killing-7-month-old-sister-in-silver-spring#ixzz2KeHlA4xg 
Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook

SILVER SPRING, Md. -

A 14 year-old Silver Spring boy is being charged as an adult in the death of his 7 month-old sister.

Police say 39 year old Gloria Yanes, who lives in a basement apartment on Lockwood Drive, left her son in charge of her infant daughter when she went to work at 10:30 PM Thursday night.

When she tried to wake seven month old Larissa at 6 am to feed her, she was unresponsive. Someone called paramedics and police.

"Before we arrived, the paramedics had taken the child to Holy Cross Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Doctors say the little girl had injuries they determined were not self-inflicted," Montgomery County Police Captain Paul Starks says.

So they questioned her brother, Johnathan Aguiluc.

"He admitted that he had beaten the little girl which made her cry, so he covered her nose and mouth with his hands," Starks says.

Starks says because the 14 year-old is charged as an adult with first degree murder, investigators don't think the little girl's death was an accident.

Neighbors are stunned. This woman, who lives next door to the family, says she knew Ms. Yanes worked the overnight shift, but she wasn't aware of her childcare arrangements.

"I know her, but I don't know who was watching her baby. I don't know," she said.

No answer at the Yanes home, rocked by a double tragedy.

"It's not just the death of the seven month old little girl," Starks says. "If the allegations are true, she's going to lose her son too, for a time anyway."

Johnathan Aguiluc is being held without bond.

He's due in court Monday at 1 p.m. for a bond hearing.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/21092899/14-year-old-charged-with-killing-7-month-old-sister-in-silver-spring#ixzz2KeHem3TW 
Follow us: @myfoxdc on Twitter | myfoxdc on Facebook
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Replies (41-50):
angevil53
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM
In this situation i blame the mother. The kid obviously didn't have the capacity to watch the child without supervision. She made a horrible mistake. He made a bad decision in a situation he should never have been put in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM
I haunt got a problem with a 14 year old babysitting...but an infant overnight regularly? I don't think so...very sad all around.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Every night, though?   This mom was using her 14 yr old son as her overnight daycare while she worked full time.   I am NOT making excuses for the teen, but he was probably seriously sleep deprived and angry that he had to watch his sister every night instead of hanging out with friends and getting a good nights sleep for school.

No way would I put that expectation on a teen.

Quoting TSNDDY:

I watched a women's baby and toddler over night when I was 13/14.

Quoting danijean:

Very sad but honestly who in the heck trusts a 14 year old to watch a baby overnight? Mom needs to be charged with something!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

That poor baby!  You cannot possibly throw a 14 year old BOY into the responsibilities of caring for a baby and not expect him to properly handle his frustrations.  It's hard enough for an adult, much less a CHILD.  That mother should be charged, not that boy.  He must be beside himself.  Poor guy.

I don't agree. Normal 14 year olds don't kill infants. I remember being 14. I babysat kids (not infants) at 12.

Mocking.Jay
by Gold Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

The kid was 14, not 4.

He was fully capable of knowing how to kill a baby. He is fully responsible. Nobody else killed that baby. SMH.

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

You are thinking like a rational ADULT with a fully functioning mind.  Forget that the 14 year old mind is still immature and learning.  He should never have been forced into that situation.  He was pushed over the limit and couldn't make a rational decision because he is also a CHILD.  You don't leave babies with babies - you leave them with a responsible ADULT.  That's childrearing 101.

Quoting kappalopokis:

A fourteen year old knows that beating an infant is wrong.

Period.

He is not the victim.

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

That poor baby!  You cannot possibly throw a 14 year old BOY into the responsibilities of caring for a baby and not expect him to properly handle his frustrations.  It's hard enough for an adult, much less a CHILD.  That mother should be charged, not that boy.  He must be beside himself.  Poor guy.

kitchen.ninja
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM
That poor woman :(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM
I would make sure that kid was locked up for the rest of his life! And For people who said "poor him" are u kidding! He killed A BABY! look at your baby and then tell me u still feel the same! I am mortified by those responses, if I was that mom I would want to die! she made a mistake yes but now her whole life is gone... in tears as I look at my tiny baby girl

Quoting lyssesmommy:

wtf is wrong with people these days...Damn bastard obviously has some serious mental issues...

AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:37 PM

I started babysitting my nieces when I was 12. My oldest son is 13 and watches his baby sister (17 months).

that kid had issues.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think to many people discredit what teens and children are capable of. Someone always wants to make excuses for their actions, when most of the time they knew what they were doing.

Abby.N.Amys.Mom
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I had a cousin who was born when I was 11.  When he was born, we immediately had this bond like no other I have ever felt.  Since the day he was born I would get asked questions as if he was mine.  Nope, but he might as well be.  It was June and I stayed with my aunt that summer.  My aunt left me one night with him while he was still young... and I'm thankful every day of my life that I didn't do something I would regret.  He cried and cried.. nothing would calm him down.  Eventually, I got frustrated and put him on the bed, and screamed at the top of my lungs.  It scared the crap out of him and me and we were both crying.  18 years later we are still very close.

Babies can be very frustrating.. especially when you don't know what you're doing.  You don't know how to calm a baby, just that you want it to be quiet and whatever you're doing isn't working.  It gets hard.  Throw in a CHILD with absolutely no knowledge of how to raise children and nights like I had are bound to happen. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I dont think he should have been watching baby but it does say they dont think baby died accidentally

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

You are thinking like a rational ADULT with a fully functioning mind.  Forget that the 14 year old mind is still immature and learning.  He should never have been forced into that situation.  He was pushed over the limit and couldn't make a rational decision because he is also a CHILD.  You don't leave babies with babies - you leave them with a responsible ADULT.  That's childrearing 101.

Quoting kappalopokis:

A fourteen year old knows that beating an infant is wrong.

Period.

He is not the victim.

Quoting Abby.N.Amys.Mom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)