Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tip added to bill by restaurant

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The family & I went out to a restaurant tonight for dinner. Waitress was not attentive to us at all & it wasn't even that busy. People who came in after us got to order their food first & eat before we did. She had no problem refilling other customers cup, but she would jut walk pass our table. I had to wave down another waitress to get morw drinks. My son really wanted to try this restaurant, so we stayed. The bill comes & it's $180. I look at the reciept & $30 was added for tip! I believe in tipping, but not that much for a waitress who didn't really gave a shit about us! Uuugh. Restaurants should let customers decide how much they want to pay.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM
$180 for 4 people??? That is complete freaking BS!!!!!
audreesmama
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I wouldn't have paid it. I would have signed my check for $150 and left it at that, and taken a pic. If they decide to put in the 180 that is fraud.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Lol of course, there's always more to the story right?? Idk why we didn't ask to talk to a manager while waiting on her. We just waited for her. I would also hate to get someone in trouble, because thenI would feel bad.

Quoting katarina666:

I'm sorry I don't agree.If your a party of over  a certain # of people a added gratuity is acceptable.If she was Ignoreing you why did you not talk to the manger? I bet there is more to the story.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
skittlefart
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

holy shit, I would've chewed that woman out to the max...no way I'll give someone a $30 tip unless it's a 5 star or something like that...

IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559 photo IMG_0535_zpsc0ad53e7-1_zps89952559-1_zpsa642ab08.jpg
Nicky has gathered 4 valentines!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Daisypath Wedding tickers
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katarina666:

I'm sorry I don't agree.If your a party of over  a certain # of people a added gratuity is acceptable.If she was Ignoreing you why did you not talk to the manger? I bet there is more to the story.

I disagree with you.  There were ONLY 4 people they served.  That is not nearly enough to add an outrageous UNDESERVED tip.  I eat in NYC at times and they will add the tip if it is like 8 or more, somtimes 6 but never 4.  Ridiculous

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM

They did that to our bill when we had a large group of ppl at Red Robin!! My mom was paying for me, DH, herself and our kids. My mom was ticked off!! She crossed out the tip amount and left the exact amount of the bill without adding any tip, as our waitress sucked!! She took forever just to bring out water!! It was 20 minutes before she came back to take our order. After our food came out, we needed more water! It took another 15 minutes to get more water! My food was cold, and needed to be reheated. Needless to say, it was a horrible dining experience! The restaurant cannot 'legally' force you to pay the gratuity. What if you know 'exactly' how much your food is going to cost, and you go with a large group of ppl and you only have enough for your meal and no 'extra' for the tip?? What are they going to do? Make you go wash dishes or something?? I noticed the last time I went to Red Robin with a large group, which was less than 3 weeks ago, they did not add on the gratuity to anyone's bill. Everyone was paying for their own food. There were like around 20-ish gals in our group! I think they probably got enough negative feedback with the automatic gratuity being added to large groups bills, that they probably decided it was not worth losing a ton of customers. Besides, in our group of 20-ish gals, the average tip each gal left was $3.00-$4.00. multiply that by 20 and she made a minimum of $90 in tips on just our group!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Credit

Quoting Sassy762:

Did you pay by cash or credit card????

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't remember seeing it, but I guess it could've been somewhwre on the menu. There was 4 of us. Yes, we had to pay it.

Quoting Sassy762:

Does it say on the menu that "gratuity would be automatically added for a party of a certain number of people"???

Did you pay it???

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM
4 people for $150 that's roughly $35 a person???? That just doesn't seem accurate. Adding the "tip" it's $45 a person & for BBQ. We can eat as at a fancy steakhouse (with dress code) for less than that in our area.
littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM

OP where do you live?  I live outside of NYC and those prices sound like a meal here, lol   2 kids and 2 adults, that was some tab

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Then DISPUTE that ....NOWWWWWWWWWWW

That is NOT cool and you should call the restaraunts corporate office and complain as well AFTER you stop that charge from going through

Quoting Anonymous:

Credit

Quoting Sassy762:

Did you pay by cash or credit card????

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't remember seeing it, but I guess it could've been somewhwre on the menu. There was 4 of us. Yes, we had to pay it.

Quoting Sassy762:

Does it say on the menu that "gratuity would be automatically added for a party of a certain number of people"???

Did you pay it???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)