Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

tip added to bill by restaurant

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
The family & I went out to a restaurant tonight for dinner. Waitress was not attentive to us at all & it wasn't even that busy. People who came in after us got to order their food first & eat before we did. She had no problem refilling other customers cup, but she would jut walk pass our table. I had to wave down another waitress to get morw drinks. My son really wanted to try this restaurant, so we stayed. The bill comes & it's $180. I look at the reciept & $30 was added for tip! I believe in tipping, but not that much for a waitress who didn't really gave a shit about us! Uuugh. Restaurants should let customers decide how much they want to pay.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Why didnt you just ask them is that everything, after the second trip?

Quoting Anonymous:

they do that for idiots like I had tonight. I had a table of 4 come in. They ordered their food, I took out thier salads. Then I get can I have a second ranch. Ok no big deal. They wait till I get back to the table with the ranch to say can I have another blue cheese. Ok starting to get fustrated now. I take out the food. Can I have extra napkins, okay. Then I get back to the table with the napkins and hear I need drink refills. Ok part of the job but getting really aggitated by this time because I have 4 other tables. So I start avoiding them at this point. I hear can I order a to go order. ok this is part of the job. I get it to the table and they say can I have a side of ranch with that. So I go get the ranch. I get it to the table and the dumb ninny says oh by the way can I get a cream gravy to go with that?

So I get the gravy. They ask for a to go box. So I don't have to make a second trip I bring the biggest we have. Then they say that is not big enough can we have a small one also. So I bring that. Then the dumb ninny says can I have a to go cup for my beans. I was fuming by this time. I wanted to slap her ass out of the resturant , can't you ask for everything at once? its not hard. So I take her a to go cup. I get to the table and the ninny says Can I get a to go sack? GOd how much can one person need.  So I bring a to go sack. Then the dumb ninny that never ate her dinner and wanted all of these to go things wants dessert. So I get the dessert. I can go on and on for 2 more paragraphs the shit I went through not telling me till I got back to the table with the requested item that they need something else. You know what my tip was????

ZERO THIS IS WHY RESTURANTS DO AUTOMATIC TIPS.

o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:57 AM

If they're going to add gratuity usually it will say so on the menu or something. I serve and if it's a large party it will automatically put a suggested 18% on there but the customer has no obligation to pay it. I would have spoken to the manager about your experience if your service was really that bad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Some of the nicer, high end restaurants add the tip in two differnt forms. Sometimes they will add if you are UNDER a certain amount of guests and some add if you have OVER a certain number of guests and they will add an automatic 15% gratuity which is what you are supposed to tip your waiter/waitress according to tipping ediquate.

o.O....
by Cara on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Just because you had one bad table (or a bad table every now and then) doesn't mean that the restaurants should be adding automatic tips. As a server I understand that the experience I give my guests is going to be directly reflected by the amount that I get paid, and most nights I do very well. But I also understand the risk that comes with the industry and don't dwell on it when I get a table who I know just isn't going to tip. It's one table out of many.

Quite frankly I'd be worried that if a 15-18% gratutiy was added to my checks the amount that I'm able to make would decrease because people wouldn't want to tip  25%+ if they figured the tip was already taken care of.

Quoting Anonymous:

they do that for idiots like I had tonight. I had a table of 4 come in. They ordered their food, I took out thier salads. Then I get can I have a second ranch. Ok no big deal. They wait till I get back to the table with the ranch to say can I have another blue cheese. Ok starting to get fustrated now. I take out the food. Can I have extra napkins, okay. Then I get back to the table with the napkins and hear I need drink refills. Ok part of the job but getting really aggitated by this time because I have 4 other tables. So I start avoiding them at this point. I hear can I order a to go order. ok this is part of the job. I get it to the table and they say can I have a side of ranch with that. So I go get the ranch. I get it to the table and the dumb ninny says oh by the way can I get a cream gravy to go with that?

So I get the gravy. They ask for a to go box. So I don't have to make a second trip I bring the biggest we have. Then they say that is not big enough can we have a small one also. So I bring that. Then the dumb ninny says can I have a to go cup for my beans. I was fuming by this time. I wanted to slap her ass out of the resturant , can't you ask for everything at once? its not hard. So I take her a to go cup. I get to the table and the ninny says Can I get a to go sack? GOd how much can one person need.  So I bring a to go sack. Then the dumb ninny that never ate her dinner and wanted all of these to go things wants dessert. So I get the dessert. I can go on and on for 2 more paragraphs the shit I went through not telling me till I got back to the table with the requested item that they need something else. You know what my tip was????

sweetmomma326
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I don't believe in walk outs, but I would do it in this case.

Quoting Anonymous:

I did ask to speak with the manager & he said 22% is automatically added on toall bills. They can't/won't take it off.

Quoting shivasgirl:

did you speak to the manager about it? no way would I have paid that

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
themissheather
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I manage a restaurant and I think that's crazy. The standard tip is 20%. They shouldn't be adding 22% and it should only be on parties of 8 and up. Was it a chain or a local place?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Four people is not a large enough party to add any tip, let alone 22%.  I would not have paid the tip.  I waitressed and I anticipated my customers needs and never left the table without asking what else they needed.

themissheather
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I agree 100%. I've been in the industry a long time and automatic gratuity on every table means servers take home less.

Quoting o.O....:

Just because you had one bad table (or a bad table every now and then) doesn't mean that the restaurants should be adding automatic tips. As a server I understand that the experience I give my guests is going to be directly reflected by the amount that I get paid, and most nights I do very well. But I also understand the risk that comes with the industry and don't dwell on it when I get a table who I know just isn't going to tip. It's one table out of many.

Quite frankly I'd be worried that if a 15-18% gratutiy was added to my checks the amount that I'm able to make would decrease because people wouldn't want to tip  25%+ if they figured the tip was already taken care of.

Quoting Anonymous:

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM

But when you spoke with the manager, did you voice your complaints about the waitress specifically and how you don't feel she earned or deserves the 22%, which is a fairly high MANDATORY tip.   I always thought it was supposed to be 15% minimum.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:16 AM
Did they post it anywhere on the menu or restaurant?

Quoting Anonymous:

I did ask to speak with the manager & he said 22% is automatically added on toall bills. They can't/won't take it off.

Quoting shivasgirl:

did you speak to the manager about it? no way would I have paid that

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)