Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Surrogacy nightmare

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies

So I was watching Dateline earlier today and the story REALLY upset me.

A young woman applied to be a surrogate. She used HER egg and his sperm. There was a full contract and everything.
At the end of her pregnancy she changed her mind and wanted to KEEP the baby.
The father's name went on the birth certificate and her name as well

The "adoptive" family took her to court and after 4 months finally won custody. But the biomom got visitation.

After a year the "adoptive" family went back to court to file and have the bio mom's rights terminated because in that year since she was awarded visitation she had NEVER bothered to visit the child.
It was granted and the "adoptive" mother was finally allowed to adopt the little boy

I just find this insane...my heart broke for the bio dad and his wife...they paid to have a surrogate and got a freakin nightmare instead.

Do you think the judgements were right?

In my opinion the bio mom should never have had any kind of custody/visitation at all...

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM
I agree with you! Adoptive mom never should've had to go through the court system!
unspecified42
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM
Traditional surrogacy is no different from adoption legally. It isn't recognized in most states, either. I'm really impressed that they eventually got full custody and a step parent adoption granted, honestly.

I do think that surrogacy needs to be more legally regulated.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think it should be illegal to use your own egg if you're a surrogate. That baby should have never been born to fight over. However, nothing will ever make me agree that a bio parent-mother shouldn't have the final say in what happens to her baby. Nope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think the surrogate should have been granted anything. not to be crude, but to be a surrogate is to be a 'paid' baby cooker.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I think such an un natural situation is prone to things like this.
unspecified42
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Because there are never custody issues between fertile couples? Married couples? Lmao.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:22 AM
Yes. COUPLE'S. Not 3 people.

Quoting unspecified42:

Because there are never custody issues between fertile couples? Married couples? Lmao.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:36 AM
She wasn't just the "cooker" she provided one crucial part in the baking. The egg then she went on to bake.

Surrogacy bothers me at times. People are fickle and can become very scandalous.

Quoting bustybee:

I don't think the surrogate should have been granted anything. not to be crude, but to be a surrogate is to be a 'paid' baby cooker.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM

but in this case she chose to 'donate' her egg. she was a paid baby cooker. either way, she was paid to be a surrogate, she wasn't the 'other' woman, so I don't think there should have been a custody battle at all.

Quoting Anonymous:

She wasn't just the "cooker" she provided one crucial part in the baking. The egg then she went on to bake.

Surrogacy bothers me at times. People are fickle and can become very scandalous.

Quoting bustybee:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:43 AM

I think traditional surrogacy needs to be banned because of situations like these.  If necessary, it can become an adoption, because that's essentially what this was.  They should have never gotten custody because the child was biologically the woman's.  She should have changed her name and fled I guess.  It was awful that the court awarded those people the baby.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)