Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you do with this stuff after the person passes away??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

I'm trying to get everything packed up so we can move. We just found the guest list for my grandma's funeral services. It's just a small spiral notebook that my mom and I picked out at walmart, and it only has writing on the first half of the first page. I just don't know what to do with things like this. I feel like throwing it away (which I'm doing with a lot of things, we need to REDUCE REDUCE REDUCE) would be like slapping her in the face. On the other hand, it's just another "thing" to clutter up in the house. I'll never use it, I couldn't bring myself to.

Any advice would be great. I'm really at a loss on things like this. :(

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DieselsMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Why not see if anyone else in the family wants it?

soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry I have no idea, I've never had to deal with that part of a loved one passing away. Listen to your heart about this, maybe ask your mom or another family member if they would like it.

I_luv_my_boys3
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Idk :( I'm sorry! Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SummasMomma
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:28 AM
Save the sheet of paper with the list & toss the rest of the notebook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:30 AM

Perhaps scan it and save it digitally? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:31 AM

The only ones left are me, my dad, and my brother. My brother's trying to get rid of a lot of stuff too, since he's the one that lived with our grandma, he's got the bulk of it, and my dad doesn't want it.

Quoting DieselsMom:

Why not see if anyone else in the family wants it?

cjsix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM

What about taking that page with the names on it out of the book and putting it with pictures of your grandma so that somewhere down the road you can do a scrapbook/photo album with pictures of her and other mementos(save some of those too) and put them all in the album.

You could have family and friends come and allow them to chose something to remember her by. They would enjoy having something special from her and you would know that those who have them cherish them as she did.

I will tell you don't get rid of things hastily especially if you are sure about the items. My mom did when my dad died and what I have are a couple items of clothing...everything was gone within two months and we didn't even know.

Lovemyshadows
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM

Throw things away, donate.  We kept very very little of my moms stuff. Donated furniture and clothes.  Sold her books to 1/2 price books.  We kept a few pictures.  And a mirror she adored and wanted my brother to have.  We were ruthless, we didn't need a ton of stuff in our garage.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:33 AM

As I just told a PP, the only ones left are me, my dad, and my brother. My brother lived with her so he has the bulk of everything and is trying to get rid of stuff too, and my dad doesn't want it. My mom passed 6 months after my grandma. I think part of the problem is my mom passing so soon after, and we didn't get to do anything for her. We don't even know where her remains are. She was cremated and put in an unmarked grave. :(

Quoting soon2bmomof3619:

I'm sorry I have no idea, I've never had to deal with that part of a loved one passing away. Listen to your heart about this, maybe ask your mom or another family member if they would like it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you! I think this is a great idea! I can put it in my "treasure box" my dad made me when I was a kid.

Quoting SummasMomma:

Save the sheet of paper with the list & toss the rest of the notebook.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)