Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Under Qualified...Would You Take The Job?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
1 mom liked this

Would you take a job your under qualified for. My mom turned a job down because she is under qualified and in the medical field. I think she is right to turn it down if she knows she's under qualified and even after considering the learning curve she still is not comfortable with it. It would be a clinical over sight position. I have been in  this situation and I feel there is no place for the "fake it till you make it" and see what happens mentality in clinical care.  My sister on the other hand thinks she is being stupid, because she needs the work and the pay will be great. I see both sides of the situation, but I lean more towards my moms' side since I also work in health care and understand the importance of being confident in your job related abilities when dealing with patients or overseeing those who do. I've turned down 2 positions for this reason but I have taken a couple non health care related jobs that I was under qualified for and being in that situation is so hard on the nerves every day until you do "make it" that I don't think it's worth it. If it where my dream job, or a long shot at a life long dream then I would totally see it as worth it of course but that's not the case here for my mom. Would you take a job your under qualified for?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM

absolutely!  that's how you learn!  when i first started in my career, i took a job that i knew NOTHING about.  i had never been in the field (it was my first consulting job) and although i understand technology, it was slightly different (more interfacing with the business teams) and even though i stumbled my way through the first few weeks as i learned, the point is that YOU LEARN and when you learn, you grow.

Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Yes, that's how you learn.

tossed
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:35 AM
5 moms liked this

If it put other people's lives at risk, no. I have taken jobs for which I was not a perfect fit, but learned quickly.

littlelamb303
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:36 AM

yes, because there is such a thing as training.  Years ago, work places did on the job training all the time.  Sometimes I feel employers want people "ready made" but even if you are in a job that is in your field right after college,, you ARE still underqualified and learn as you go along.

RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd be too afraid to take it and get fired after getting too overwhelmed. That happened to dh once. It sucked.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RunningMommaof2
by Kelly on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:38 AM
I'm noticing this trend as well, and I don't think it's a good thing.

Quoting littlelamb303:

yes, because there is such a thing as training.  Years ago, work places did on the job training all the time.  Sometimes I feel employers want people "ready made" but even if you are in a job that is in your field right after college,, you ARE still underqualified and learn as you go along.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:41 AM
Yes. I didn't sign my soul to student loans for nothing.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I agree with your statements on "that's how you learn" and the growing aspect in your field,. I also really appreciate your opinion. Our issue here, my moms' and my own is that there are patients' involved. In most other fields, any that don't involve clinical care or safety of others. I see it as a complete positive if the person really wants to put in the solid effort and stumble through and grasp his or her way to being experienced and established. I will admit I've worked for a supervisor that was under qualified, every one in the office knew because the woman was stupid enough to state the feelings she had on it a couple times over the phone where the most the staff could clearly hear her, with out any effort, to another supervisor in a different department she often communicated with, and we knew her education and experience and knew the higher ups made a risky choice, but we were a team, respected her position and potential, we supported and encouraged her. We trusted the judgement of the people who hired her but given the importance of the field material, it's incredibly time sensative nature and the pressure to meet very high demands, even for some one seasoned in the field, and just all the stress related to it,  she buckled under the pressure and her lack of qualifications made our job much more difficult. This was for a pharmaceutical company, the research department. The FDA and other agencies were involved in monitoring and reviewing all the time. Pt. safety data was involved. It was scary with her in charge. They did fire her and the whole thing was a mess for our department. She left the place in a jumbled up cluster pooch and we, the staff, had no clue of the extent of damage done until later. Really bad situation, so I guess I am biased because my experience with being on both sides of the situation.

Quoting itsm3:

absolutely!  that's how you learn!  when i first started in my career, i took a job that i knew NOTHING about.  i had never been in the field (it was my first consulting job) and although i understand technology, it was slightly different (more interfacing with the business teams) and even though i stumbled my way through the first few weeks as i learned, the point is that YOU LEARN and when you learn, you grow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:25 AM

That's totally how it is these days. I'm either overqualified or underqualified. i feel like there's no such thing as an entry level position anymore.

Quoting RunningMommaof2:

I'm noticing this trend as well, and I don't think it's a good thing.

Quoting littlelamb303:

OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this
That depends. Is she working directly with patients? Will her decisions affect the patients health, or health care?

Otherwise, I'm with your sister. Fake it till you make it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN