Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

fevers are suppose to go down with motrin right? small update

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 49 Replies
My 22 month old woke up with a 103.4 fever. Gave him motrin about an hour ago.... just checked his temp and its now 103.9. The dr office better call soon or im going to loose it. Their computers were down this morning so they couldn't schedule an appt when I called now im waiting for them to call back. This started after his dr appt on friday as a low grade fever. He was drooling a ton so I assumed teething since dr said he was fine andcear infection was gone. He broke fever sunday morning. Then yesterday fever of 101 came back and was 104.9 at 130 this morning. Now motrin isnt touching it. Ugh I would take him to er but I dont think its an emergency and I cant psy another thousand dollar bill (4 er visites between the youngest 2 in the last 2 months for 106 fevers, dehydration from tummy bugs) if u go ti walk in they will say its a virus and not test anything. His gums are swollen really big.im just frustrated.

Got him a dr appt for 1.... after I annoyed the nurse about how often to give meds.... she then said "wait are you the mom of the kids with the scary high temps of 106?". Said yup thats me, she must of ran to talk to dr since computers are still down and came back and said his dr will see him at 1! He is now shivering and 104 with Tylenol in his system now for 2 hours.be back later to update.

Update on dr appt.... so they tested for strep, rsv and the flu. All negative. So the dr thinks its a virus, specifically roseola (spelling). She wants to recheck him tomorrow and a possible blood test. I was directed to take him to er if his fever reaches 106. Otherwise to keep alternating Tylenol and motrin every 3 hours and push fluids. I was also told to keep close eye on his breathing because his tonsils were really swollen but his ears are fine as is everything else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VannaMae307
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have always used Acetaminophen (tylenol) for fevers. Motrin is more for stomach cramps and inflammation-type problems*

*In my personal experience and with my own child

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

did he get vaccines on fri?

Barronbaby
by Brandi on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Nope, it was a recheck from his er visit

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:47 AM

he most likely picked up something while at the drs...it always happens...take in a well child for a well check, and get sick in the process

Quoting Barronbaby:

Nope, it was a recheck from his er visit

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Alternate between Tylenol and Motrin.

momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Motrin has ALWAYS worked for us for fevers.

Is there an urgent care close to you?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Barronbaby
by Brandi on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Motrin works better for 2 of my 3.... the oldest and youngest run high fevers like 106 or higher. Usually for this little guy 103 is nothing and he is everywhere still.... however yesterday and today he isnt eating much and laying around

Quoting VannaMae307:

I have always used Acetaminophen (tylenol) for fevers. Motrin is more for stomach cramps and inflammation-type problems*

*In my personal experience and with my own child

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
And this! Every 3-4 hours.

Quoting Anonymous:

Alternate between Tylenol and Motrin.

southern.momof2
by Pirate on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Sometimes you have to alternate tylenol and motrin. Good luck. I hope he gets better soon!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Tylenol works better, but Motrin should be helping. If your child still has a full fever an hour after a dose, take the child in to be seen. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)