Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For all of the die hard pro breast feeding moms.

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM
  • 73 Replies
First, I would like to say that I am ABSOLUTELY 100% pro breastfeeding. However, I have a question.

I had my son at 30Weeks. He was very small and we were in the nicu for two months. The hospital was 3 1/2 hours from where we live, so we stayed at the Ronald McDonald house the entire time. When we was born he couldn't be picked up, so I couldn't put him to the breast. So I pumped RELIGIOUSLY. I pumped according to his schedule and did everything I could to keep my supply up. About a week before we went home from the hospital, I started losing my supply due to stress and exhaustion. I didn't take any medication, I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to. I did everything I possibly could, but about two Weeks after he came home I had to switch to formula because I completely lost my supply.

How do people still look down on me after I did everything I possibly could to breastfeed, but it just didn't work out. I know some people choose formula just because they want to (that's their choice), but that is definitely not the case for everyone. I would've loved to breastfeed him until two, but it just didn't work out.

P.s. I'm mobile, so sorry for any typo.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mtdew
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Your story is exactly like mine!  My son was born at 30 weeks and in NICU.  I wasn't able to produce enough even for a preemie.  Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, you did the best you could!  Besides, it's really no one else's business.

IFartGlitter
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Theyll say yo should have taken lactation boosting supplements.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:36 AM
2 moms liked this

Fvck 'em. You did the best you could.

bchic24
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Something similar happened to me. I was bf when my son was born but he was really ill from a pancreatic deficiency and ended up at St. Joseph's for over a month. We lived there with him and he was ordered not to breast feed while they were trying to figure out what was wrong with him. He was given all of his nutrients through a pik line. I tried pumping but I didn't respond to it. I even tried all the little tricks like special diet, stimulation etc but I dried up by the time he was cleared to feed again. It broke my heart but we did end up having to go to formula which ended up becoming a chore in itself because we kept having trouble with him tolerating it. We ended up having to go to a special kind which was over 30 bucks per carton! This time around I'm really hoping there will be no medical issues so I can breast feed the way I wanted. I'm so sorry that happened to you but you're not alone, I just can't believe there are people who look down on you for it. IT's not like you had the ability and just chose not to. Insane... *hugs*

mylovey
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

I think some of those super pro-breastfeeding moms are not that pro-breastfeeding. If you think that criticising and shamming formula feeding mothers is somehow going to promote breastfeeding, you must not really care about changing peoples minds in regards to breastfeeding. I decided to breastfeed my son even after formula feeding my daughter. I had some wonderful people in my life that were pro-breastfeeding and encouraging, not overly critical and mean. If anything what I have seen on many pro-breastfeeding websites by so called advocates has really been a turn off.   

Mommy to little Miss. Saylor, and little Mr. Finley. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Bc sadly they will tell you that you didn't do everything, or that it was your fault.  Or they will scream donor milk bc they seem to think it is available for all.

Sorry mama:(

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM
I did.

Quoting IFartGlitter:

Theyll say yo should have taken lactation boosting supplements.

arpazia
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I am pro breast feeding:) I don't judge though. It's not my place!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JLo1486
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
They would say that you should never have had him in the first place. You obviously fail as a woman and mother. For real though, it doesnt matter what they think. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Donor milk wasn't available for me. I so wish it was though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bc sadly they will tell you that you didn't do everything, or that it was your fault.  Or they will scream donor milk bc they seem to think it is available for all.

Sorry mama:(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)