Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He tried to sell me his foodstamps!

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
  • 63 Replies

I was around the corner from my house last night to get some butter for baking. When we were in the parking lot a man came over an knocked on the window, and offered us "$30 for $50." He held up his foodstamps card (and I had never seen one until that moment lol) and said "it really is mine, you can see my ID if you want."

Needless to say, we said no. He was really pushy and kept trying to convince us it was a good idea.

Then, I ran into the store to get my butter, and he came inside and started talking to another man who was in the checkout line next to me. He convinced the guy to do it, $20 for $40. I was SMH the whole time.

I'm not against PA for those who use it properly, but this was an experience I needed to share with my judgemental friends at CM :)

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiDoMama
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Doesn't shock me. It happens a lot. Its probably sad that I'm so jaded over that. :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lexiloo714
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Yeah that happens
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Just one of the reasons I hate PA. People like that do not need assistance, they need rehab and a job.

NowImAMom...
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I was just surprised because I've never even seen a FS card.

And I noticed the guy who checked out in front of me used one (he was waving having trouble with figuring out his order so I was watching him lol) and now I feel like I'm going to be noticing them more haha

Quoting LiDoMama:

Doesn't shock me. It happens a lot. Its probably sad that I'm so jaded over that. :/

prp2014
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I was recently at walmart with my brother and a woman came up to us wanting to trade foodstamps for cash. About 10 people turned her down. She gave up and then what bugged me though she pulled a 50$ bill out of her pocket and bought a new movie that was on display next to the cash register. I just want to know why she needs foodstamps if she has money to blow on a movie.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It used to happen a lot more often when it was paper money . People like that are obviously abusing the system and are some kind of addict.  The problem is, I have been inside some of these rehabs and these people are repeat offenders.  My husband needed rehab and spent time in the psych. ward and rehab.  He was about the only one who had private insurance and was contributing financially  to his care.  Many of the ones there on the tax payer dime are in and out(nurses said so).  It was clear they had no desire to help themseves .  I have a friend whose brother  is 50 yrs old and never had a job.  Has spent his entire life mooching off of others, and ON DRUGS.  People like that should be tosseed to the curb.  There is way more welfare abuse then the 5% people claim on here.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Big shock. Someone on PA abusing the system.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe he needed cash to pay a bill... maybe he didn't, but maybe he did. Doesn't make it less illegal, but I could understand it in that case.

mrs.pina
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:08 PM
I have a cousin who pays my aunt with stamps to babysit her kids . She gives my aunt $100 just to watch them for one night .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

I don't get it.

So he was talking people in to taking a 20 dollar loss?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN