Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Preschool is not a necessity for crying out loud ***EDIT

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 280 Replies
9 moms liked this

We're watching the State of the Union and Obama wants to urge all states to give all families access to preschool.  Gee, we're already drowning, let's add some more to it.  Preschool is not a necessity, I'm sorry but its not.  My children attended because we wanted them to but if we couldn't afford it I was perfectly capable of preparing my children for kindergarten.  We can't afford to keep handing stuff out without the money coming in to pay for it going up.  Quote all the stats you want but there is no reason a parent can't sit down with their child half an hour a day and do a couple of work book pages together.

*** I'm not saying preschool is bad.  You don't have to defend your choice to send your child to preschool, if you read the original post you would see that I sent my children.  I'm saying the state should not have to fund a parent's choice to send their child to preschool.  States are broke enough as it is without adding more debt.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:59 PM
5 moms liked this
I think it's because a lot of moms don't ... For whatever reason. I hear that so many children are not ready for kindergarten when they start.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM
35 moms liked this
Well - your comment actually highlights the issue.

A qualified early education professional will tell you work book pages are about the least effective way to teach material to a preschool aged child.
LovelyMommy24
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Okay.
SquishyMommyof2
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Preschool is state funded for EVERY child where I am.

-The Squished Hippie and  Yoda of babywearing

MommyCon may be coming to a city near you...check it out!

jillbailey26
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:01 PM
9 moms liked this

Our Pre-K program is free and it really does help the kids.  Especially since they're always changing what the kids need to know.  Not only does it help with the academics, it helps them get used to being away from the house all day and get into a routine of what school is like.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
4 moms liked this
A lot of parents don't or can't teach their kids the basic needs for kindergarten. So many single parent households and so many households that require two incomes sometimes parents just can't afford to be SAHMs and teach them these basic needs. It's sad but it's just the truth.
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
47 moms liked this

There are lots of unneeded spending in the government. Education isn't one of them.

Momof3smoochies
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
For us too.

Quoting SquishyMommyof2:

Preschool is state funded for EVERY child where I am.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I agree 100%. As it is, low income families get access to free pre-k. Now they need preschool too? Where is parent involvement these days? Learning shapes, colors, how to count, and letters was something that was done at home. Parents are stepping out of their child's education from the get-go. That's really sad.

To add another topic...I liked the part about immigration though.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM
4 moms liked this
I like the idea. PRE SCHOOL was such a positive experience for my daughter. Many parents DO NOTHING at home to help prepare their kids sadly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)