Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Preschool is not a necessity for crying out loud ***EDIT

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

We're watching the State of the Union and Obama wants to urge all states to give all families access to preschool.  Gee, we're already drowning, let's add some more to it.  Preschool is not a necessity, I'm sorry but its not.  My children attended because we wanted them to but if we couldn't afford it I was perfectly capable of preparing my children for kindergarten.  We can't afford to keep handing stuff out without the money coming in to pay for it going up.  Quote all the stats you want but there is no reason a parent can't sit down with their child half an hour a day and do a couple of work book pages together.

*** I'm not saying preschool is bad.  You don't have to defend your choice to send your child to preschool, if you read the original post you would see that I sent my children.  I'm saying the state should not have to fund a parent's choice to send their child to preschool.  States are broke enough as it is without adding more debt.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM
Replies (211-220):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 43 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:57 AM
1 mom liked this

The younger you get them, the easier it is to reel them in.

KeriAZ
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:59 AM
I never went to preschool and neither did my kids. We all turned out great. My oldest has a high IQ and is going to college for computer design And my youngest is going to go to school to ne a firefighter/enter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
auntietotty
by Ruby Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:17 AM

I was a preschool teacher at a private preschool for many yrs...and I agree...to an extent.

Most parents are capable of teaching their child anything a preschool will. IF they will do it.  A lot don't.   I can't even count the numerous parents who would proudly tell us..."and she knows her ABC'S!"...when in actuality...all they knew was the "abc song". Sorry mom...that's not knowing their abc's. That's memorizing a song like any other song.

Some kids really do need it. Many dont.  We had some who would come for the socialization...they didnt need the learning part really. They got that at home.  We also had many who would come the year previous to kindergarten, just to get accustomed to a routine and learn rules and waiting their turn, etc.  For some, it made the transition into kindergarten easier for them.  Even learning to wait in a line to go outside is hard for some kids.

Our school started at age 3. We had some who came every year up to kindy...and some only came the one year before kindy.

Like I said, it depends on the parent and how willing they are to teach their child at home. Maybe some work so much there isnt time left in the day.  And some just dont know how. And some just don't want to.

SommelierMom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Quoting SquishyMommyof2:

Preschool is state funded for EVERY child where I am.

Not for us.  It's expensive as heck, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 44 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:40 AM

it should be an option, not mandatory

happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I agree that preschool is not necessary - I had one child that went and one that didn't, and they both do very well in school.  However while you may be able to prepare your child for kindergarten, there are a lot of parents who can not be bothered.  For that reason, I think mandatory preschool is great idea.

amyleigh80
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this
Ok then. The more resources available for no or low cost preschool, the more Americans can get back to work. More work, more money being put back into the economy. More money, no recession. Seems like a helpful plan to me. It all trickles down.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 45 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:48 AM
So it is the governments job to become the parent? That thinking has helped put us into huge debt!

Quoting KairisMama:

I like the idea. PRE SCHOOL was such a positive experience for my daughter. Many parents DO NOTHING at home to help prepare their kids sadly.

So_Devious20
by Misha Lovegood<3 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:53 AM
ohhh. that's different than preschool before grade K

Quoting CountryMomma123:

It's a PreK class for kids with special needs and development delays. My twins are behind in development by about 6 months to a year.

Quoting So_Devious20:

Wait Vpk starts at 4. they have to be 4 by sept. something..?

Quoting CountryMomma123:

Where in Florida do you live? I live in Tallahassee. My 3 year old twins are also in PreK but they are full time and they go five days a week. They love it too.

Quoting So_Devious20:

wow. I had no clue that pre-school wasn't state funded everywhere. dd goes for 3 hours each day. Everyone here in Florida has access to it, poor or not.

AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I don't understand how. There is low income free preschool here and it runs regular school hours - not work hours; school, not child care.

In the state I lived in previous, the free preK was only half day.

Quoting amyleigh80:

Ok then. The more resources available for no or low cost preschool, the more Americans can get back to work. More work, more money being put back into the economy. More money, no recession. Seems like a helpful plan to me. It all trickles down.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)