Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

depressed but scared to see the doctor.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I am very depress and know I need to see my doctor but I am scared to go.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:00 AM
I have a thyroid issue. Its overactive.

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

Basically what happens is the doctor will ask what brought you in, you'll say you've been having depression, he or she will recommend counseling and possibly medication.   And say, 'hope you feel better soon'. 

It's a pretty simple thing. 

If you've been having other symptoms in addition to depression the doc may want to be sure that some physical illness is not involved.   Common possibilities are a very low level, chronic infection, thyroid problems...the key is feeling better soon.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Oh!   That can really affect your mood!   Yup!   Time to see a doctor.   

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

Basically what happens is the doctor will ask what brought you in, you'll say you've been having depression, he or she will recommend counseling and possibly medication.   And say, 'hope you feel better soon'. 

If you've been having other symptoms in addition to depression the doc may want to be sure that some physical illness is not involved.   Common possibilities are a very low level, chronic infection, thyroid problems...the key is feeling better soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:17 AM
I am pretty its causing some of the problem which maybe part of the reason I am scared. I am afraid they will want to kill my thyroid or remove it. I don't want part of me killed even if its just my thyroid and I don't want them cutting my neck to remove my thyroid.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

What gave you the idea that a doctor would need to do those things in your case?

And what makes you think depression is linked to HYPER thyroid, or overactive thyroid?

And why wouldn't your hyperthyroid be treated by the usual medications that are used for hyperthyroid?  If they're taken consistently, medications usually are totally adequate for treating hyperthyroid.  

I don't understand why you would think any of the three above things - they are not based in fact.   Are people on the internet telling you the above things?   Because they just are not factual.

Medications are usually fine for hyperthyroid.  You just have to take them every day, just as prescribed.  And sometimes they try a couple different medications.   Usually the first one used, for temporary hyperthyroid, just blocks the worst symptoms of hyperthyroid.   Other medications actually regulate the thyroid and tell it to not make so much thyroid.   Those meds are based on working with the body's own regulatory systems that regulate thyroid.

My friend actually had to have that surgery, not for overactive Thyroid, of course, but for hashimoto's disease - this is where the thyroid has gone completely haywire, it gives off too much thyroid hormone, then way too little.   it goes in cycles like that, way up, way down, it's not fun.  Depression when the thyroid is low, is just one of the many problems with hashimoto's disease.   It is not at all fun.

She didn't like the idea either, as she was totally into alternative medicine and holistic therapies - in fact that is her JOB - massage, selling holistic products, holistic therapies.  

It really challenged her.   The doctor put her in touch with a couple other people with hashimoto's disease, and she realized.   Either it was going to kill her or she was going to have to get the work done.

It took her a while, but she finally decided that what she had to do was get the surgery.

A couple years later, she feels a lot better, she's healthy again, she's not depressed, and while she'll never be jumping for joy that it had to be done, she came to terms with it.

Medical problems (not thyroid) have become a part of my life.   I resisted it for a long time - I was in denial.  I didn't want to have any medical problems.   So I just struggled against it and wouldn't admit I needed it.   I tried all sorts of things, but none of them worked.   I got to where my illness was interfering with work.   I'd get dizzy, short of breath.   FINALLY one day at a brief emergency meeting, where everyone else was standing, I had to ask for a chair.  I was actually panting just trying to stand there for the meeting for a couple minutes.  It STILL took me time after that incident to finally go ahead and get the treatment I needed.   I was a stubborn idiot, LOL.

I asked my doc what would have happened if I hadn't gotten on medication for it.   She shrugged and said, 'well you would have died'. 

Um...guess I'm glad I finally came to my senses and did what I needed to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am pretty its causing some of the problem which maybe part of the reason I am scared. I am afraid they will want to kill my thyroid or remove it. I don't want part of me killed even if its just my thyroid and I don't want them cutting my neck to remove my thyroid.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM
I have Graves disease which cause over active thyroid and lots of other things. Anytime,e they thyroid is not working properly it can cause issues with your mood. I was medicated for my thyroid then it went into remission. Which my doctor says is rare. He said medicine is normally just a temporary fix and most end up with the thyroid killed or removed and after age 25 he prefers to remove it rather than kill it off.

Quoting lancet98:

What gave you the idea that a doctor would need to do those things in your case?

And what makes you think depression is linked to HYPER thyroid, or overactive thyroid?

And why wouldn't your hyperthyroid be treated by the usual medications that are used for hyperthyroid?  If they're taken consistently, medications usually are totally adequate for treating hyperthyroid.  

I don't understand why you would think any of the three above things - they are not based in fact.   Are people on the internet telling you the above things?   Because they just are not factual.

Medications are usually fine for hyperthyroid.  You just have to take them every day, just as prescribed.  And sometimes they try a couple different medications.   Usually the first one used, for temporary hyperthyroid, just blocks the worst symptoms of hyperthyroid.   Other medications actually regulate the thyroid and tell it to not make so much thyroid.   Those meds are based on working with the body's own regulatory systems that regulate thyroid.

My friend actually had to have that surgery, not for overactive Thyroid, of course, but for hashimoto's disease - this is where the thyroid has gone completely haywire, it gives off too much thyroid hormone, then way too little.   it goes in cycles like that, way up, way down, it's not fun.  Depression when the thyroid is low, is just one of the many problems with hashimoto's disease.   It is not at all fun.

She didn't like the idea either, as she was totally into alternative medicine and holistic therapies - in fact that is her JOB - massage, selling holistic products, holistic therapies.  

It really challenged her.   The doctor put her in touch with a couple other people with hashimoto's disease, and she realized.   Either it was going to kill her or she was going to have to get the work done.

It took her a while, but she finally decided that what she had to do was get the surgery.

A couple years later, she feels a lot better, she's healthy again, she's not depressed, and while she'll never be jumping for joy that it had to be done, she came to terms with it.

Medical problems (not thyroid) have become a part of my life.   I resisted it for a long time - I was in denial.  I didn't want to have any medical problems.   So I just struggled against it and wouldn't admit I needed it.   I tried all sorts of things, but none of them worked.   I got to where my illness was interfering with work.   I'd get dizzy, short of breath.   FINALLY one day at a brief emergency meeting, where everyone else was standing, I had to ask for a chair.  I was actually panting just trying to stand there for the meeting for a couple minutes.  It STILL took me time after that incident to finally go ahead and get the treatment I needed.   I was a stubborn idiot, LOL.

I asked my doc what would have happened if I hadn't gotten on medication for it.   She shrugged and said, 'well you would have died'. 

Um...guess I'm glad I finally came to my senses and did what I needed to do.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Don't be scared, it really does help. Talking is a good thing.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Yes I have heard that sometimes that's necessary.

But you'll get thru it - my friend I mentioned, she was not delighted to have thyroid problems but she dealt with it and now life is good again.

If you're depressed, get help.   If your thyroid needs work, get it.   One thing us older gals can teach you younger gals - we get sick sometimes, the best thing is to take care of it and go on, waiting and being resistent to getting medical help makes more problems than it solves.   I've been a stubborn idiot about this sometimes and I really kicked myself in the rear for just avoiding a medical problem and putting off help I needed.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have Graves disease which cause over active thyroid and lots of other things. Anytime,e they thyroid is not working properly it can cause issues with your mood. I was medicated for my thyroid then it went into remission. Which my doctor says is rare. He said medicine is normally just a temporary fix and most end up with the thyroid killed or removed and after age 25 he prefers to remove it rather than kill it off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I made an appointment for in 2 weeks.

Quoting lancet98:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting lancet98:

What are you afraid of?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You made the first step...the hardest one...you admitted to being depressed.

Being on meds for depression, etc is nothing to be ashamed of.  Not geting the help you need, is.... Please see a doctor...

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I made an appointment for in 2 weeks.

Quoting Anonymous:

You made the first step...the hardest one...you admitted to being depressed.

Being on meds for depression, etc is nothing to be ashamed of.  Not geting the help you need, is.... Please see a doctor...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)